Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wednesdays Movie night - Jan 21





Another Good Day! Jerry had another long day today, but he pulled through like a champ. Started out with all his work outs this morning with stretching, and then moved on to some physical stuff. They hooked some wires to his legs and gave him some electrical stimulation and made him pedal a bike, for lack of better words. I was not here when they were doing this but Katie said it was kinda cool. The stimulation made his muscles help contract, and with a motor helping to rotate the peddles, he went about 30 minutes, or about 5-6 miles. He was supplying about 50% of the power through his muscles, and the motor was doing about the same. Small steps, but going in the right direction. This is the kind of stuff we would like to see, work those muscles!

After lunch, he did some more arm workouts on these sling things, where he pulls his arms to, and then away from his body for an hour or so, followed up by an hour of Texas-hold-em poker. I forgot to ask who won. Back in bed around 3:30pm to get some rest for his big night out.

Tonight we got to load up in a couple of vans and go see a movie. It was the first time in 20 days of doing something normal, so to speak. We went to see Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino. It was nice to go out, and I think Jerry had a good time too. It was quite a bit of reality also, as I see how things have changed. It takes a little more time and effort to do even the simplest tasks, like going to the movies, then it did before, but it's all good. We got back about 10 and got ready for bed. Just like in the old days, we wore the little fella out, and he drifted of to sleep around 11:30. Thank you God for the nice time and the sleep. I know things are going to be different now, but hanging with you're boy will always feel the same. I problebly should get some rest myself as tommorrow will have it's own challeges I'm sure.

Please continue to pray for Jerry's complete healing and that his spirit stays strong. Even with a great night out , I know that for him, these times are hard. I can see it in his face. Pray that he accepts where he is at right now, and pushes forward to a better place tomorrow. To never give up on what he can do through Christ our Lord.
Please pray for Katie and myself, as well as my other three children, as we make the countless trips over the hill, at all hours, that we would be safe.
And most of all, take a minute to thank God, for all he has done in all our lives, as we all go through this journey together on these pages.

And with that, I will leave you with some shots of our first night out.
Good night and God Bless.
Dennis

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Most people in these situations have a long road ahead of them, But I have a feeling that god has shorten that road in to a
short path and a wonderful journey. That you (jerry) and your family will be just fine. I know Jery YOU will walk again!

Anonymous said...

That was a long day!! I hope it was great. While you were at the movies our youth group was praying for you.
Yesterday I was listening to a Veggie Tales worship song disc. (you may laugh here) One of the songs on it was Blessed Be the Lord. My mind was led to think about and remember you. The chorus especially stuck with me: Every blessing You pour out, I'll turn to praise.
God is flooding you, all you MacCallisters, with blessings; and we return with praise.
Rest in God's arms, confident that He was not surprised at the circumstances, and He has a plan always for our good and He has it under control.
We continue to pray and praise God for you and all He has done.

Candace & family in La Grange, CA

Anonymous said...

"You Rock" Jerry!! (if I may borrow the catch phrase from my teens Guitar Hero video game). I hope you enjoyed the movie. I saw it with some friends and I think I was the only one that got teary eyed towards the end. It's always nice to have a change of scenery.
I hope you are encouraged at your wonderful progress as the rest of us are. I pray for you and your families continued peace, focus, and determination (which I see in every blog entry).
Have a great day MacCallisters!!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post & pictures!
Two handsome men!
Ferry family (& relatives)will not stop praying for you all and for complete healing.
Have you looked at your map of blog hits? Wow - every continent except Antarctica! Don't forget to count Russia - not shown on map but mentioned in an early blog.
Soon we'll all be driving around with your name on our cars - with the FollowingJerry.com window decals and bumper stickers!
I have never put a bumper sticker on any of my cars. I'll put Jerry on the bumper and window... we know ya hate country Jerry - but you are going right next to my Keith Urban decal(his music: NOT country). Don't worry your image won't be tainted...it's a nice car lol!
Sharon Ferry

Anonymous said...

Jerry, Its been awesome watching how fast you are recovering. It's amazing to see what GOD is doing... I know that you are going to walk again,you are too stubborn and have too much determination to stay in that chair. I wish I could come see you, but I'm a little to far away, but know that I am praying for you every day.

Love You

Uncle Mark & Aunt Brenda

Cay Ellen said...

Hi MacCallisters! We just returned from vacation and never stopped praying for you all. It is so great to hear and read about all the answered prayers!! Keep up the great work Jerry and we will continue to pray for you. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry!!
I just wanted to say hi! I have been reading all these postings about how you're doing (and bugging your bro about you, like, everyday) and I am EXTREMELY happy to hear how much your situation has improved in such a short amount of time. You are a truly amazing person, and I cannot say I am surprised at how positive you are through such a tough time, it's just the kind of guy you are! You really inspire me. I hope that things continue to get better and better for you, and you stay strong, and most importantly stay Jerry! I think you're going to do some amazing things. Anyways, I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers all the time. If you are cool with it I'd like to visit you soon.
You have an awesome family by the way, I love all you guys.
Take care Jerry,
Nova

Tara Brown said...

Hi MacCallisters,

Thank you for the posts and updates. It is really exciting to see the progress you're making. Every day a little more and a little more - striving and pushing forward. You are doing it, and it is an inspiration and privilege to be able to follow the progress.

We pray that God will continue to heal Jerry, guard his mind and give all of you the strength you need to do what needs to be done right now.

Hugs and prayers,

Tara

Anonymous said...

i pray for you and your family everyday Jerry!!!

get well soon, i wanna see you run again!!! im so glad to see your progress. you're getting better for each day. it is wonderful to hear the good news like this everyday, even im on the other side of this world.

take a good care MacCallisters

love
Sue Khotnarong, Thailand