Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Afternoon

The blog hits have kept coming fast and furious, and it has been amazing to the see the little map (to your right) covered across North America after only two hours!  

Dennis just called and said that he and Katie are feeling the hope, feeling your love, and feeling your support.  They are grateful beyond measure and thank you for keeping up with your comments and prayers.  Katie, who has only been able to eat a half a bowl of Cheerios in the last three days, is literally surviving on your words and prayers.  

As for Jerry, he had a pretty restless night.  It's difficult for him to sleep as the medical team continues to poke and prod him throughout, but he has had some better times of sleeping this afternoon.  Earlier today a drainage tube was removed from his neck, but they have decided to leave him intubated for the next 24-48 hours with the goal of keeping his body from movements such as coughing or sneezing.  So, when he is not sleeping, he is conscious, but unable to talk or interact.

Later tonight they will be moving Jerry from the ICU into the Trauma Center, and this is possible because his condition has remained SO stable post surgery.   For now, visitors to Jerry personally are still being kept at a very minimum, as the most important thing right now is REST.  And lots of it.  

Some of you have contacted me with questions related to Jerry's condition, and here are some clarifications about Jerry's injuries.  Gratefully, there is no damage at all to Jerry's brain--his personality and sense of humor are totally intact.  There has been significant trauma to his spinal cord, and he did break the two vertebrae in his neck.    For now, doctors have told the family to assume that the paralysis is permanent.  Because Jerry is conscious, he is obviously aware of the scope of his injuries, and certainly, he is coping remarkably well as he processes the situation in his own mind.  

As you are thinking of the MacCallister family and of Jerry, please pray for them along these lines:

1.  Please pray that Jerry's mind and heart would be protected from fear and despair over his circumstance.  Pray that as he is in the quiet of his own mind and heart, that he would be filled instead with hope and determination.  Pray that he would have great hope for his future, and overall, pray that he would be able to walk, run and fly again.  

2.  Please continue praying for Katie.  Pray that she would be able to eat well and sleep deeply, and be comfortable with the care that Jerry is receiving.  Pray that she would have confidence in Jerry's doctors, and give her peace when she is away from Jerry's side, knowing that he is exceptionally cared for.

3.  Pray for Dennis as he continues to communicate with friends and loved ones, and also watches over his wife and family.  Pray that he would be full of strength, both physical and emotional, and that he would find rest and encouragement in unexpected places. 

4.  Please pray also for Jerry's older brother and sister, Josh and Janea, as well as his younger sister, Jessica.  As they each return to work and school in the coming days, pray that they will have peace in their hearts as they are away from their parents and brother.  Pray that they will be able to focus on their school and work tasks, and that they will be protected completely both emotionally and physically.

As you continue to pray and think of this family, there are also a few "housekeeping" topics to cover:

First, for any of you that are calling Dennis and Katie and not receiving an answer on their phones, please know that the hospital has very sketchy cell phone coverage, and that their phones are not always ringing.  So, leave a voicemail for them.  Secondly, Dennis has a tough time with text messages--having to find his glasses and push the right button is actually fairly amusing for others to watch, but something he could probably do without.  So, call him.  He is happy to hear from people and pass on messages to everyone else.

Next, you might have noticed the Donate Now button to your right.  If you are so inclined, we are looking to support the MacCallisters in a practical way and even $5 or $10 buys them breakfast at the hospital.  You can give using your credit card, but if you'd rather send a check, you can do so to us at RCP, 15000 Two Bar Rd, Boulder Creek, CA. 95006.   

Special thanks today go to Kris for setting up the Pay Pal accounts and Cheryl for setting up an account at the bank in Jerry's name.   Thank you also to those who are paying for nights at the hotel, and those who are swinging by with food and good wishes.   Truly, the family is amazed and grateful.   

Dennis said today that as soon as Jerry is able, he and Katie will be reading all of your kind words and comments to him.  So, please continue to comment--if you have verses that have encouraged you, or quotes or stories, please leave them here on this blog to be shared with Jerry.

Thanks to all who are contributing, it's a remarkable thing to be together as we love this family and walk alongside them. 

Yours,
Marci
marci@redwoodchristianpark.com 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget that until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, - 'wait' and 'hope'."" - Edmond Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Duams

Unknown said...

Oh Jerry, you are the one all the girls secretly cannot help but think is gorgeous, with the most stunning smile...so as long as you can still smile for us, you will continue to melt our hearts...I am relieved to hear that your sense of humor and personality are still fully intact. Since elementary school you have always been the strong, speedy Jerry..your strength and amazing family and friends will prove miraculous, and this tragic mishap will not keep you from achieving your goals. I am sure hearing about the tons of people who are praying for you is a repetition of kindness from all those who care about you, but much more than that Jerry, we Believe in you! You are the strong, sweet red-head who cannot be brought down by anything. We believe in you and that your strength and world of love you are surrounded in will result in many miracles throughout your life...both now and in the future when you are flying high as the pilot and/or the astronaut you were born to be. Cliche as it sounds...never give up hope Jerry, for you and for your family, believe in yourself, and how incredible you are. As you continue to get stronger, I am sure you will not be able get rid of all the company you shall soon be receiving, as all of us cannot wait to visit a much missed stunning smile which only you can deliver. WE LOVE YOU JERRY!!!

- Laura Ferry

Anonymous said...

Dennis and Katie,
We are praying that God will give you a peace that can't be explained during this time. We are praying for Jerry and know that God loves him and has a plan for him.
Joshua 1:9 - Be stong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Rob and Terry Johnson

Diana Salibi said...

Dennis, Katie and Family,
Our hearts and prayers are with you. Love The Salibi's

Anonymous said...

But now, this is what the Lord says-
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush and Seba in your stead.
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you...
Psalms 43:1-4

Hey, I'm praying for all of you.

Rachel Williams

Anonymous said...

Jerry! hey hey hey, Its Sarah Nelson! I cant believe this is all happening, last time we talked you were asking me if I remember which state you went to college in and I kinda avoiding the question by bringing up that you were my first kiss haha! And what an amazing kiss it was, even though you think it was at Chel's...it was in front of the biology classrooms thanks :] I hope that you make a tremendous recovery, I know your a strong person and I think a miracle will come your way and I know you'll push through this all. I miss you and when your out of the hospital well hang out! Im praying for you and your family, love you.
-Sarah Nelson

Tim-essee said...

Hey guys, I'm Tim, Kris' fiance. I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I hope you are all holding up well, and are keeping up your strenghth. There is power in prayer, and power in numbers, and there are huge numbers of people praying for Jerry and you all right now. Keep hope alive, and know that we all love you and want to help in any way possible. God bless you.
Tim

kayla firenzi said...

Jerry, you have affected all of us at slv in many ways and I'm so greatful to have met you. You always got me to smile =] Hope everything gets better! Love ya & your family

Anonymous said...

Jerry, I just want you to know that you are constantly on our minds and in our prayers. I have alot of faith in you and know that you can get through this. Know that you have the support and the love of your family behind you and we will all help you get through this in whatever way you need. I know because of the person you have become that this will not hold you back. I am confident that you can do anything that you set your mind to and with your mom, dad, sisters and brother to help you, you are unstopable. We love you with all our hearts and will be there for you always.

Aunty Stephanie and Family.

Meredith said...

Hi to the Macallisters,
I justed wanted you to, know that my mom broke her neck.2nd and 3rd vertabrae. 34 years ago, and they told her she whould never walk or have kids. Within 2 weeks she walked out of the hostipal and she has five children. The Lord is amazing and He is able to do anything. My thoughts and prays with you and Jerry.

Meredith

Sara said...

Thought of you today and prayed. I don't pretend to understand, but God is still in control. We love you guys! Tell Jerry our prayers are with him!
Love from,
Sara Moore and fam

Anonymous said...

Katie, Dennis et al.
Let Hope transform you. Our hope for you is that you are able to rest and replenish yourselves through sleep and good food. You remain at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers at every turn in our day.
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the god of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."
2 Corinthians 1: 3-6
Much love, Trish, Buel and Mary

Teri Huffman said...

Hey guys,
I was just reading in Matthew ch. 9 tonight. In that one chapter alone there are SIX different healings! The first being a paralytic, then a dead daughter, the woman who had been bleeding for years, two men blind, and another man mute. None of these are "little illnesses" in our realm of reality and yet they were nothing to God!!

We are continuing to cover you all in prayer, thanks to Marci we know some daily specifics for each of you. In Daniel ch.9 (Daniel's prayer) he says, "So I give my attention to God and I pray to the Lord My God confessing..." He confesses that he Acknowledges God's Greatness, "O Lord, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant and lovingkindness for those who love him and keep his commandments." We too are bringing our attention to God concerning Jerry, and we too are going to acknoweldge that HE alone is the GREAT and AWESOME GOD, able to do what we cannot think or imagine! Standing in the gap with you guys, Fight On!
~Teri (for all the Huffmans)

Anonymous said...

Dear Marci, ..many Thanks to you, and all the people at RCP, for your love, prayers, this "blog", and this information on Jerry's comfort. I am Dennis' brother, Neil.
To Katie and kids, ..thank you so much for your strength as a family, and the love and help you give to your mother, father, and your much loved brother Jeremiah.
Dennis, I can't imagine how heavy this challenge is that awaits you and your son, but I hope you know how lucky Jerry, and everyone, is to have you on their side!
I vividly remember you reaching down into an 8' deep dig for a concrete foundation, grabbing my upstretched hand, and lifting me straight up and out. One lift!
I know exactly how much you pray you could do that now for Jerry.
Please know, though, that Jerry is one heck of a strong and resourceful fellow, too! And that as he faces the challenge he is up against right now, ..when he looks over to the side line, ..his seeing you there beside him, is exactly the thing to encourage him towards the goal before him.
Jerry has a lot of guts! ..and I have seen him more than once grab that ball down and run it back!
He's a true champion, ..ALWAYS will be!
He has a FANTASTIC family, too!
Peace, love, and God's Blessings!
---------------
(Dennis, ..God's arm is mighty strong, too! ..And God loves Jerry very much!!)
---------------

Anonymous said...

It's midnight on Monday and Dennis and I just got back to the hotel. Jerry is resting well tonight and remains in stable condition. It was a good day, Jerry had the drain tube removed from his neck and was transferred out of SICU to RTC (Rehab Trauma Center). Due to the breathing tube the only way Jerry can communicate with us right now is with eye blinks. It was very frustrating for him and especially heart breaking for me, however by the days end we got a little better at understanding. Jerry has a lot of determination, the kids (Josh, Janea and Jessica) brought Jerry's Zune from home, for those of you not familiar it's like an ipod. Jerry wanted to listen to Death Cab for Cuttie (thats a band he likes)he was so determined to make me understand. I tried to convince him to let me pick some music for him but he wasn't having it. His determination prevailed after 20 minutes and sorting through hundreds of files on his Zune I was finally able to give him what he wanted. When the music began his eyes shut and he was at peace. With that kind of determination and Gods healing power there is no way he's wheel chair bound.

I want to share with you all the power of prayer. I was so greif sticken that I was barly able to function. I couldn't eat or sleep for a few days. My body was weak and my heart was broken, when I was with Jerry I was able to hold strong for his sake but when I was away from Jerry the tears flowed uncontrollably. I felt the power of prayer today. I was able to eat
all of my Cheerios this morning as well as some Jello and cottage cheese for lunch. The kids brought spaghetti for dinner and I was reluctant but was able to eat. I gotta say Nate Sanford makes a darn good spaghetti. Today I was at peace, I felt a little like the me before this tragedy. Yesterday I didn't feel capable of carrying this cross, today I know I will get through and God will provide the strength to bear whatever this unfortunate journey will bring.
I have strength today and I am grateful our lord has answered your prayers for me. My dear friend Cheryl brought a card for Jerry that touched me deeply. For those of you who don't know us personally Jerry is short for Jeremiah he was named after Jeremiah in the Bible. The card Cheryl brought had the verse Jeremiah 30:17 For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee...saith the lord. I hold onto that hope with every fiber in my body.

Words cannot begin to express the gratitude we feel for all the love support and most importantly prayers that we are receiving. I want to thank each and every person whether it's food donations for the family, help in providing our hotel room, gift cards setting up bank and paypal account, monetary donations, prayers, the list goes on an on. I have no words to express how thankful I am. I especially want to thank Marci Beth Maple for setting up this blog,I have been so uplifted and encouraged reading everyones thoughts and prayers. I want everyone to know Dennis the kids and I have read each and every comment posted. We have been so moved and uplifted with the love, support and prayers. Our one and only request is that you spread the prayer chain across the world and never stop praying for Jerry.

Forever grateful,
Jerry's Mom Katie

Anonymous said...

Please know of my prayer for Jerry and you all. Such events leave us devastated and confused, but somehow God is the Lord through all these experiences, though he often seems to take his time in showing us what he's doing. I pray you can continue to trust and wait on the Lord even while you grieve and cry out during this.

JeffCalden said...

Our hearts and thoughts are with your family in this difficult time.

Your family's strength and love is a source of inspiration for us all.

With love and hope,

Jeff and Shannon Calden

Anonymous said...

Jerry you are constantly in our prayers and we really care about you, never give up hope and just know that everything will be okay because of all the loving people you have around you. this is super unfortunate and you dont deserve it but you will have the strength to carry on in your life. have faith.
well come visit you:)

love,
sara wyllie and mckenna booth

Anonymous said...

Jerry, im so sorry this has happened to you! Your a strong person and i pray you make a full recovery! Me and my mom have been praying for you! I hope to see you soon!
Love Chel