Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wednesday Afternoon, Day 6

For those that do not know the MacCallisters personally, they have a long history in our valley. Having worked at the camp for close to 20 years, Dennis and Katie have raised their family in our tight-knit community.  Having raised their kids up in sports, they are extremely well known as coaches, organizers, football players, runners, softball players, watergirls......you name it, they've done it.  And as word of Jerry's ordeal has made it's way around our local community, it seems like everyone has opened their hearts to this story.

Everyone I know is looking for a miracle for Jerry.  Today, as I drove over to see Jerry along with our boss and his wife, we got to talking about miracles.   Jim, the Executive Director of the camp that both Dennis and I work at, was reminding me about the many, many miracles of Jesus found in the Bible.  

If you read any of the recorded accounts, such as those of the nobleman's son (John 4:46-54), the paralytic (Mark 2:1-12), the man healed by the pools (John 5:1-15), the healing of the Centurion's servant (Luke 7:1-10), or the widow's son (Luke 7:11-17) you will see that the miracles never happened the same way twice.  Sometimes Jesus came into a situation because he was asked, sometimes simply because he walked by.  Sometimes all that he used was the faith of those who asked him,  sometimes just his words.  Sometimes it was the faith of those surrounding the person who needed healing.

God's ways are different than our ways, and His timing and His methods are higher than ours.  So as we watch for the complete recovery of Jerry, we can rest in knowing that God's timing is always spot on.  That His methods are always correct.  And that we can trust Him to heal Jerry in EXACTLY the right way at EXACTLY the right time.

I had the incredible privilege of seeing Jerry today.  I got to hold his hand, flip his TV channel, pray for him, and even help the nurse to shift his pillow.   Seeing him for myself I am more certain than ever that a true miracle is in store for this family.  

Please join all of us today by praying for a complete and total recovery for Jerry.  

Pray that his eyes would be lifted.  Pray that the sunshine that streams into his room would feel like a balm being poured all over his body.  Pray that as he remains intubated that his parents, doctors and nurses would have supernatural abilities to understand his needs and desires.  Pray that he would have patience as he communicates, and that he would be overwhelmed with peace.

As we continue to lift Jerry in prayer, Katie and Dennis have also shared some ways that they have concretely seen God's answers to your prayers.  The list is long, but here are a few:

First, Jerry may be feeling some sensation along his arms and chest areas--doctors are still trying to determine exactly what is occuring.  But this feels like an encouraging sign as his body begins to emerge from the trauma of the accident.   He was also able to spend some time today un-intubated.  They doctors are slowly giving his lungs opportunity to expand, and today they were satisfied with the way Jerry's respiratory system responded.   

It is also amazing to see the hope and determination in the eyes of Dennis and Katie.  The prayers of many have made an amazing difference in these two parents.  Both have been able to eat well and sleep well, and both are feeling encouraged and hopeful.  Please pray for the Lord's continuing protection over Dennis and Katie, and over Jerry's siblings, Josh, Janea and Jessica.

We are also continuing to have some exciting things happen as the support for this family grows.  To the many of you that have donated to the MacCallisters via PayPal, your gifts have been received and we will be mailing you a receipt shortly.  Redwood Christian Park has opened the Jerry MacCallister Assistance Fund, and all of your tax deductible gifts to this family will channeled through this account to them directly.  If more money is given then is needed by the MacCallister family, then any excess will be given to other families facing this sort of challenge at the discretion of the MacCallisters.   

Plans are still in the works for a series of fundraisers, and a meeting time and place will soon be announced.   If you are interested in joining this group of organizers, please send me an email and I will direct it to those that are heading these plans.

Please do continue to comment often to this blog--the MacCallisters appreciate it immensely and will post their own messages (and pictures) to you very soon.

Gratefully,
Marci
marci@redwoodchristianpark.com

27 comments:

Melissa said...

we are so so so happy to hear that things are improving, that the lungs are looking god and that mom and dad are eating and sleeping. we're continuing to pray for little blessings and miraculous healing, peace, and rest.

we're praying hard and wishing we could be there to visit and help in any way.

love,
ryan & melissa valentine
fresno

Anonymous said...

Just know that there are so many of Jerry's high school teachers, coaches, counselors, friends at SLVHS who are all continuing to pray and hope for Jerry and the family and praying that Jerry will be healed. You are all much loved.
Leslie

Unknown said...

Go Jerry Go! I am SO excited to hear of him regaining small amounts of sensation throughout his chest and arm areas!!! Through all our prayers and persisting with a positive attitude I just know he is going to keep getting stronger, and hopefully the sensations will spread throughout more of his body. I believe it....He will get better Yeah!!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reimnbaker said...

To Jerry and the MacCallister Family:
Our hearts are with you and we continue to pray for you all with determination that miracles happen both large and small. Continue to keep your hearts and mind open and your faith strong. We are wishing you strength and peace and are so very hopeful of Jerry's future.
With much love, Dana Reimer and family (Cheryl Felice's sister)

Anonymous said...

I second Laura: Go Jerry Go !!!
Keep on healing!
Am going to really ramp up the praying for the small miracles and the big miracles that He may continue to bestow upon Jerry and family!

Laurie Lester said...

Thank you LORD for the small and mighty healing steps Jerry's body took today! We rejoice in the news of sensation returning and the promise of hope that it brings for the recovery we are all praying for.

Thank you for Jerry's strength and determination, for his resilience and perseverance. Thank you for arming him to fight this fight. Thank you for Dennis and Katie - what awesome parents they are! And for Josh, Janea, and Jessie... continue to give them strength and comfort.

Thank you to all your friends and to RCP for displays of such astounding love.

I love you all so much... prayers are continuing. Dennis, it was good to hear your voice this morning. You're not alone.

love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Jerry hope your doing better=] Youve been in the back of mind a lot. Get better=]

Anonymous said...

Im so glad that Jerry is doing well. I will be praying for guys! God Bless You.

Meredith
In Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

Ok guys....I sat at my desk trying to work all day and kept checking this website.
As the day progressed and I hadn't seen any updates, I felt lost. I wasn't listening to the Lord, but
I prayed for the good news we just received. I also surrounded myself with all the pictures of the happy events we shared with Jerry and your family. (The parents being told to be quiet by the camp host at Mammoth to name one) And then a peace came over me and I stopped being so anxious. This is GOD at work!
Josh, Jenea and FDIL,
Please hold Jerry and Mom and Dad for me. I know you can because your parents taught you to walk the walk of Jesus and you are an extension of them, the salt of the earth.
Jerry,
I love your little red head and the beautiful relationship you and Luke have. Friends forever! I will never lose faith knowing HE is taking good care of you and that playing Rock Band is only an XBOX or PS3 or whatever you guys are playing on at the moment away.
Remember you are loved by us all and even those who do not know the smart and handsome kid I've known for so long.
See ya real soon, the other Mom, Gretchen

Beth Perry said...

Get well Jerry! Please know that friends you even forgot you had are pulling for you to gain strength and get better!! We have wonderful memories of you kids playing and laughing so long ago and just know that God has some special healing in store for you! Our thoughts and prayers are with you all. Miracles will happen!

much love,
The Perry family
Dave, Beth, Tom, Josh and Evan
Fernley, Nevada

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Jerry is starting to improve. It is nice having this blog to check up on his condition. There are a lot of people thinking about him and having this to read helps prevents rumors. Feel Better Jerry!

*Megan Alves

Anonymous said...

God works in mysterious ways and we must trust in that. We see you running the track again with a big smile on your face and your crowd of "fans" cheering you on! We send you all every best wish and will continually keep you all in our prayers!
Love and blessings always!
~Cheri and Chel Bianchini

Anonymous said...

Stay strong MacCallister Family...We are all praying for Jerry's continuing recovery.

Slavich Family
(Two Bar Road)

Unknown said...

Thank you Marci for sharing with us so beautifully the accounts of the day.

Jerry, we are so happy to know your progress.

You are a Beloved child of God.

Wendy Sakoda

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you guys are getting my comments but in case you are I wish I could be there. I would love to see Jerry. I'm not suprised that he is getting some feeling because he IS going to walk again. Even though We can't be there physically for you guys we are there mentally and spiritually. We love you and you are all in my prayers. I'll be checking the blog every day for his progress.

Stephanie and family

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you guys are getting my comments but in case you are I wish I could be there. I would love to see Jerry. I'm not suprised that he is getting some feeling because he IS going to walk again. Even though We can't be there physically for you guys we are there mentally emotionally and spiritually. We love you and you are all in my prayers. We'll be checking the blog every day for his progress.

Stephanie and family

Anonymous said...

To Jerry and the MacCallister Family

I couldn't all day stop thinking about the accident. But I am just so great full that Jerry is still here and Ive been praying for his recovery and the strength of the family. Jerry is an amazing guy and and has so much strength.As Jessica said he is a fighter and i have faith that he will fight and wont give up.I will pray for a miracle and peace and rest for Jerry and the family.If there's anything i can do to help just let me know.

love allways,
Amber Fletcher

Anonymous said...

And oops another thing i forgot to add :]
I found out today that Jerry story has reached also to other riders forums. My father had told me after school that he had read about Jerry on other riders forums such as SBR (SOUTH BAY RIDERS FORUM) BARF (BAY AREA RIDERS FORUM)But all the posts on the forums all had prayers for him and love and support for the family.

Love,
Amber,Bill and Jeanette
Fletcher

Anonymous said...

Katie, Dennis and Family

Great to see you tonight. I'm inspired by your love and courage.

Katie, I registered followingjerry.com and redirected it to your blogspot site. I hope this helps spread the word more easily.

Mark and Tara

M-B M. said...

THANK YOU, Mark!

Anonymous said...

You'll fly again Jerry, I believe it

Anonymous said...

Hey...
I know I haven't talked to any of you in a while, been keping myself busy with work. I'm glad to hear that the surgeries had gone well. I'm constantly praying for our family and especially Jerry. Don't forget that any of you can call me without any hesitation. I love you guys. I hope to see everyone soon.

Love your cousin,
Erin

M-B M. said...

just something that i wrote for katie....and dennis, you promised not to make fun of me. :)

http://enoughaboutus.blogspot.com/2009/01/this-one-is-for-katie.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us to in the loop! We are holding you all in prayer to the Father. What else can we do? We cannot imagine the challenges you are so bravely walking through. Yet with God in the midst of this there is hope
so we go to Him, and we hold you too him, for His presence and power to pour over you.
love, John and the Motz family

Anonymous said...

Just want to say how encouraged I was after talking to you (Katie) yesterday on the phone. The prayers for God's strength in you and the family are truly realized. God is awesome and really in control here. Let us all continue to realize and hang on to this fact... praying without ceasing for the miracles both small and big. Our God is an awesome God, capable of many things. When I read this blog, it feels like a praise report in the midst of much... and that is something to be truly grateful. God bless all of you...

PS> Please say Hi to Jerry for me.

Anonymous said...

Dennis, Katie and family,
Our hearts and prayers are with you and Jerry.
You are an awesome family and I know everything will work out. With all your friends and family praying for you guys I just know it will be ok. Your family welcomed our family 7 1/2 yrs ago when we moved here to the valley. When our children John and Salina worked at RCP, Dennis you were always there to encourage them and with Anthony and Pop Warner you and Katie did the same. We are thankful and blessed to know your family. We will continue to pray for Jerry's healing and keeping you all in our thoughts. Be strong.
Also, to Marci, thank you so much for this blog. We check it everyday and it has been very uplifting. The love for this family is incredible. I think it gives us all hope.
Dube' and Bridges Family