Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Note From Katie

t's midnight on Monday and Dennis and I just got back to the hotel. Jerry is resting well tonight and remains in stable condition. It was a good day, Jerry had the drain tube removed from his neck and was transferred out of SICU to RTC (Rehab Trauma Center). Due to the breathing tube the only way Jerry can communicate with us right now is with eye blinks. It was very frustrating for him and especially heart breaking for me, however by the days end we got a little better at understanding. Jerry has a lot of determination, the kids (Josh, Janea and Jessica) brought Jerry's Zune from home, for those of you not familiar it's like an ipod. Jerry wanted to listen to Death Cab for Cuttie (thats a band he likes)he was so determined to make me understand. I tried to convince him to let me pick some music for him but he wasn't having it. His determination prevailed after 20 minutes and sorting through hundreds of files on his Zune I was finally able to give him what he wanted. When the music began his eyes shut and he was at peace. With that kind of determination and Gods healing power there is no way he's wheel chair bound.

I want to share with you all the power of prayer. I was so greif sticken that I was barly able to function. I couldn't eat or sleep for a few days. My body was weak and my heart was broken, when I was with Jerry I was able to hold strong for his sake but when I was away from Jerry the tears flowed uncontrollably. I felt the power of prayer today. I was able to eat
all of my Cheerios this morning as well as some Jello and cottage cheese for lunch. The kids brought spaghetti for dinner and I was reluctant but was able to eat. I gotta say Nate Sanford makes a darn good spaghetti. Today I was at peace, I felt a little like the me before this tragedy. Yesterday I didn't feel capable of carrying this cross, today I know I will get through and God will provide the strength to bear whatever this unfortunate journey will bring.
I have strength today and I am grateful our lord has answered your prayers for me. My dear friend Cheryl brought a card for Jerry that touched me deeply. For those of you who don't know us personally Jerry is short for Jeremiah he was named after Jeremiah in the Bible. The card Cheryl brought had the verse Jeremiah 30:17 For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee...saith the lord. I hold onto that hope with every fiber in my body.

Words cannot begin to express the gratitude we feel for all the love support and most importantly prayers that we are receiving. I want to thank each and every person whether it's food donations for the family, help in providing our hotel room, gift cards setting up bank and paypal account, monetary donations, prayers, the list goes on an on. I have no words to express how thankful I am. I especially want to thank Marci Beth Maple for setting up this blog,I have been so uplifted and encouraged reading everyones thoughts and prayers. I want everyone to know Dennis the kids and I have read each and every comment posted. We have been so moved and uplifted with the love, support and prayers. Our one and only request is that you spread the prayer chain across the world and never stop praying for Jerry.

Forever grateful,
Jerry's Mom Katie

21 comments:

Flo said...

My thoughts and prayers are with Jerry and his family as they fight for progress each day. Please know that where there is life, there is hope, and where there is love, there is healing. You have them both and I'm sure you will persevere.
I learned of the accident from the Proffitt family and Chris was one of Jerry's XC team mates. Chris was also a team mate of my own son Charlie, who we tragically lost in accident almost four years ago. I pray for Jerry's complete recovery. Please know you all still have so very much to be grateful for and take it one day at a time. Take care, --Scott;

Flo said...

ps: If Death Cab for Cutie is what Jerry's listening, too, then so am I.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/all-is-full-of-love-lyrics-death-cab-for-cutie.html

Wow. Powerful stuff.

leanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randal Kay said...

Dennis and Katie,

As a dad my heart breaks for you.

I am praying often, especially that God will do EXCEEDINGLY, ABUNDANTLY, BEYOND ALL WE CAN ASK OR THINK.

I am also praying that all of you will experience the tangible presence of the Lord. I know this, that He IS there with you.

As per your post, please give Jerry a "BLINK" from his new friends at Felton Bible.

May the Lord's peace truly guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Pastor Randy

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I couldn't NOT LOOK for Jerry's song, listen to it and try to understand it's importance to him.

For some reason there has always been a special place in my heart for him.

See it on YOUTUBE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqHPgFygMkk


Here's the lyric...

you'll be given love
you'll be taken care of
you'll be given love
you have to trust it
maybe not from the sources
you've poured yours
into
maybe not
from the directions
you are
staring at
twist your head around
it's all around you
all is full of love
all around you
all is full of love
you just ain't receiving
all is full of love
your phone is off the hook
all is full of love
your doors are all shut
all is full of love

Laurie Lester said...

Katie, I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for this tragic accident. We have been thinking of you guys and praying a lot for Jerry and the family. I do a terrible job at finding the right words, but I want you to know that we care.

If it helps, Alicia and I have each known people who have had similar injuries and have recovered well. Stay strong, you are not alone. We love you!

Ryan and Alicia

Laurie Lester said...

Katie,
My heart is breaking for you. We so fiercely love our kids and I know how hard it is to see them in pain. I am so glad you are taking steps go take care of yourself. Please make that a priority because it will support the strength you need right now. I love you so much.
I have everyone I know praying for you all. I'm receiving back so many stories of hope and encouragement from folks who have endured this same situation. I will pass them on to you.
The overall theme is the wonder of God's creation of the human body... how it's intricacies are built in for purpose. Jerry's body is knit together by God and Jerry is being restored. My prayer is 100%!
Even as a toddler, Jerry was a chronic daredevil... we've both spent many hours in the emergency room with all our kids. And they always bounced back. We will from this one too!
Thank you for your blog so that we can be close to you during this time. Know that we are holding you all close in our hearts and prayers.
love, Laurie
Sacramento

Unknown said...

Dear Dennis, Katie, Jerry, Josh, Janea and Jessica, My heart goes out to all of you at this moment with the news that I received through facebook (Dave Wainscott) today about the accident that Jerry had. I want to let you know that my entire church in Kansas City will begin to pray for complete healing and recovery for Jerry. God is a wonderful healer. We have seen many mighty reconstructive healings take place in the short span of contending through intercession planting this church. Be encouraged and strengthened in the name of Jesus! May the Holy Spirit fall upon Jerry and the entire family at this very moment. I have had three encounters within three days receiving word of needs for miraculous quick healing. We will contend in the Spirit with you. We will join in prayer with you. We will speak and pray the healing scriptures over Jerry. God come! Let your name be glorified. Please touch Jerry's injuries with your healing hand. Minister to him as he is in the hospital. Minister to Dennis and Katie and the rest of the entire family. Strengthen everything that needs to be strengthened right now by the power of your Holy Spirit. I ask for a recreative miracle in the name of Jesus.
Blessings, Peace Healing and Comfort in the name of Jesus

Shawn Spiess
Pastor New Destiny Church
Kansas City, MO

Anonymous said...

Kaite, your family is in our thoughts and our prayers.

Peggy and Shannon Fox

Unknown said...

Katie,
You're a stronger person than I can ever hope to be. On the long road ahead, I'm absolutely certain that Jerry will find strength in your love and unwaivering hope and faith. He will draw strength from you; strength I am sure you are willing to give. That being said, keep yourself strong and watch over yourself as well.
May He watch over you all,
-Brosey

Anonymous said...

Hi. I am sorry to hear about Jerry's accident. I do not know if you have already been connected with Connor Williamson or not, but he is a young man who has been in a very similar situation since this past summer. His blog is http://www.connorwatch.org/. His family knows and understands what you are going through. Praying for you.
-Gina

leanne said...

I am so sorry and at the same time glad he is doing so well. I had just met Jerry the day before (he was staying with us in Hollister) and he seems to be a very nice young man. You should be proud! He knows my son Joey and daughter Colleen.

Seeing him laying there I could not believe what I was seeing. I am just so glad that he is doing so well, and that the Rangers were able to get to care for him so quickly. I have no words to express how I feel, but I know things will be better. He has great things ahead of him. My grandmother always told me "God works in mysterious ways and one day we will understand "why me?"."

We wish you all well. Jerry and your family has consumed our family's thoughts and prayers. I am sure you have heard this many times but if there is anything we can do please let me know. And thank you for keeping us posted I know it is hard to do but it helps us who are wondering how Jerry is doing but don't want to bother you
in your time of pain.
Leanne and Mark Martinez

dave said...

St Katie;

spreading the prayer request through Facebook and Twitter. Tons of folks you won't meet till heaven are with you..

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with the family, the Dr;s and Jerry. As a fellow rider, enthusiast and brother in Grace, I hope the best for you all. I just want to note that there is an organization you can contact for support as well, it is www.riderdown.org

Get well Soon Jerry God Bless

Anonymous said...

Katie, Dennis and Family,
My thoughts, prayers, and love go out to you guys. If you guys need anything at all please let me know. Everybody in the Valley is praying for you guys and especially Jerry for a healthy and full recovery. Please give Jerry my best wishes and let him know he is in my prayers.
Lots of love and prayers,
Jennifer Collins

Unknown said...

Dearest Katie, Dennis & Family
Jerry and all of you have been continually on my heart & in my prayers. I have been searching for just the right thing to say to comfort you. The only words I have are from my heart. You may not really even remember me. Our paths have crossed many times, kids in sports at SLV, Grad night etc...
Well You may not know but my own Daughter was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease when she was just 19. I was in total shock and deep grief. Katie I know exactly how you are feeling. I felt like I was in someone else's life. And ill equipped and helpless to save her. But Gods Grace surrounded me and my whole family. God surrounded us in all the loving friends, & strangers in the valley, that came forward to help us, with prayers, meals, housekeeping, driving, hugs, shoulders to cry on and caring for & loving our daughter. We live in a wonderful & unique community.

I pray that you feel Gods Love surrounding Jerry and you, and your whole family through all the many people who are loving you with their prayers and care for you.
I pray that God continually surround you with his Grace & Love.
Courage & Comfort & complete Healing.

God Bless the wonderful person that set it up this blog!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

We will not stop praying until he is better. Much love to you all. Steve and Rhonda

Doug Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug Morris said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Doug Morris said...

Hey you guys,

I wasn't sure whether or not my other e-mail got through and I finally figured out how to make a connection through this blog.

Just wanted to let you know how much we love you and how much we are thinking of you right now.

I asked my weight training class (sophomore-senior), "How many of you know know Jerry?" Hands flew up and settled silence fell upon the room. They were not as much shocked as they were thoughtful and focused, forty loving teenagers pulling for one of their own.

I am sure that he is already well aware of this, but please let Jerry know once again that he is running, running, running through the minds of the kids at San Lorenzo Valley High School. He is much loved.

Hang in there.

All Thoughts,

Doug