Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday Afternoon

Dennis just called with an update, and before I give you that, I wanted to pass along his heartfelt thanks for all of the prayers, comments, notes and emails.  The MacCallister Family is very "up and down", and being able to read, and then re-read, your messages makes all the difference.

As you saw in Katie's post this morning, the power of God's people as they pray is astounding. Dennis says that he is not feeling worried about anything, and that he feels strength growing in himself and Katie as they consider the tasks ahead.  He is amazed by all four of his children right now, and especially grateful for the strength of their oldest son, Josh, who he describes as a rock of strength.  Jessica and Janea are also showing great character and great courage, being wonderful supports to their parents and brother.

God is answering prayer.  Abundantly.  

As you are praying for and thinking of the MacCallister family this afternoon, please pray specifically for Jerry as he remains intubated.   Because the tubing runs down his throat, he is completely unable to communicate, which is proving incredibly frustrating to him.  Through a system of eye-blinking and "yes and no" questions, they are usually able to understand eventually, but it's really hard to know that Jerry needs or wants something, and can't ask for it.  So, please pray for a supernatural understanding to flow between Jerry and his caregivers.   Pray that his needs would be anticipated, and his desires promptly understood.

It is likely that Jerry will remain intubated for at least another 24-48 hours, as they continue to allow for the healing of his surgical area, as well as allow his body to recover from the many hours of heavy sedation during and following surgery.    The intubation allows for his body to be perfectly oxygenated, so it's necessary for his healing as it reduces the fatique of his body.

Of course, continue praying for strength and courage for all six MacCallisters, and pray that their eyes would be shining with hope as they are with Jerry today.

Beyond any other requests though, please join the chorus of prayer that Jerry would be miraculously healed.  That he would regain feeling, that he would regain movement, that he would walk and run and fly.  NOTHING is too big for our God.  And we ask that a true miracle would be done in the life of Jerry, and in all of us who witness it.

As we also continue to pray God's protection on Jerry's mind and heart, it was good to recently have a small window into his mind.  As you read in Katie's post, earlier Jerry spent quite some time working to get her to understand what he wanted to listen to on his Zune.  The lyrics, quite frankly, are stunning, and it gives us an idea of what Jerry is thinking right now.  So, I leave you these lyrics from Death Cab for Cutie.

you'll be given love
you'll be taken care of
you'll be given love
you have to trust it
maybe not from the sources
you've poured yours
into
maybe not
from the directions
you are
staring at
twist your head around
it's all around you

all is full of love
all around you

all is full of love
you just ain't receiving

all is full of love
your phone is off the hook

all is full of love
your doors are all shut

all is full of love 

Yours,
Marci
marci@redwoodchristianpark.com

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to copy someone who addressed their post to "D, K and the J's"...

We love you guys and continue to pray constantly for healing, strength, encouragement and love to surround all of you. I'm asking everyone I can think of to pray for you and read the blog. It's so good to read this afternoon's post which, as usual, got me all misty-eyed. Prayer is powerful stuff.

Marci - you are doing a fantastic job and it is so helpful. Thank you!!!

Tara (& Mark)

Anonymous said...

Katie and Dennis we continue to pray for God's strength and encouragement and for jerry's healing. Thank you also for sharing your walk through this trial. May God sustain you both.

Dom said...

Hello MacCallister's,
My name is Dominick Orlando and I am a Pastor at Faith Community Church in Santa Cruz. I have recently learned of Jerry's condition from a friend of mine (Monica Trevino) who knows Jerry. When I heard Jerry's story, I felt like falling to my knees. I can only imagine what you 'all are emotionally going though right now. I am sure many ups and downs, tears and hugs.

My wife and I (unfortunately) have had a lot of experience in hospitals ,since my eldest daughter (4yrs) has cancer (actually Leukemia, heart defects and Down Syndrome). I say that not to discourage you but encourage you. See, we, like you have gone through tremendous change in our lives. One day life is heading one way and the next it's not. I understand the feeling of "being hit when you're down" over and over and asking why. Though it all my wife and I had to learn (actually we were forced) into living our lives one moment at time (…and when that didn't work, it was a thought at a time). I remember when my friends visited us and when it was time for them to head home, I wished I was the one heading home -- but I was there, stuck with this horrible reality. Sometimes the weight was so heavy I couldn't even stand anymore - my legs couldn't hold me.

I learned that being comfortable with the reality of an uncomfortable situation can't be rushed. It just happens in its own time. It does come. now I can report that somehow life changed and things are good again. Not as hard as it use to be. So much so that dinner a movie and chemo has become normal and not the slightest bit weird :). We somehow grew so fond of the people who clung to us in our time of need we couldn't imagine life without them.

Our road is still presenting itself to us and am happy to share that (though it all) God has been so good! He will open doors that you'd never would expect. People may even come to know Him through this. I pray with all my heart that you never grow tired of keeping your eyes on Him. He will surly surprise you. Though the time tough now. Please take heart in the fact that we are here fighting the good fight on your behalf. We will continue to pray for peace and a strength will flood you in your time of need. Don't feel alone rather encouraged that the family of God is rallying around you and lifting you up toward our good God. God bless you!

Dominick Orlando

Anonymous said...

I just received an email and the blog concerning your sons accident. I am praying for Jerry's healing and for you and your family, knowing that God's strength is there for you. May you continue to feel God's presence today and in the days to come.

A fellow believer from the Adirondacks in New York State

Anonymous said...

Katie/Dennis- Our healing thoughts are on Jerry and his rehab. Be strong for him and each other.
Sheri Greene & family

Anonymous said...

MacCallister Family~
You are all in our prayers, we pray that God will give you all strength to get through this difficult time. With God all things are possible :) . Love to you all!
~ Scott, Lynn, & Kate McGregor + Lisa, Shane, and Riley Osterthaler

Anonymous said...

Dear Dennis and Katie,
I cannot begin to understand the struggles you are all going through, but please know that Jerry and all of you are in my prayers. Lord have mercy on your family,
Jill Juliana

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the surguries went well and that jerry still has his great personality, hope to visit soon! Take care,

-Anthony Bridges

Tom Perry said...

Hey Jerry and Family,

I don't know if you guys remember me, my name is Tom Perry, I moved to Nevada right before freshman year of high school. But I went to school with Jerry all throughout Redwood and SLVJH. My aunt told me about the accident and I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family man. You have always been a great friend to me, and i know you're a tough kid, so I know that you'll make it through. As we say here in Nevada:
"Keep on truckin."

Tom Perry,
Fernley, Nevada

Anonymous said...

MacCallister Clan,

You are all in our hearts and prayers. May God bless you with peace, love, and hope in the kindness of his answers.

Ed Luboff

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear that prayers are being answered and you all are receiving strength and peace from them. Thank you for taking the time to keep us all updated on Jerry's continued progress.
Love and prayers,

Jason, Karen, Andrew and Ashleigh
BC,CA

Melinda said...

I love that song and I love the beauty in it, and how it resonates so true.

still praying still spreading the word.

I actually talked about jerry & your family tonight with my jr high students as a beautiful picture of what James meant by...

James 1:2-4
"Consider it PURE JOY, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, NOT LACKING ANYTHING."

I have seen & heard Pherf talk about PURE JOY in the MacCallister's family. And true courage through this trial that has blessed me and many others.

thank you for your example, thank you for allowing us into your world to pray and hold you up.

Melinda & Pherf

Anonymous said...

Katie & Dennis,
I jumped for joy when I signed on today and read Jerry is beginning to have some small feelings again. Praise GOD. The miracle is JUST beginning. I have listened to what I call "Jerry's Song" many times today. I can't help but, be moved and inspired by it:)
Love you guys very much,
God Bless you,
Cindy LaRiviere

Anonymous said...

What a great relief it must be to see your boy smile!!!
We are so grateful for Jerry's progress.
Our family continues to Pray for you all.
Go Jerry, Go Jerry, Go Jerry
XOXO
Tamrah, Mitchell and Nolan

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie and Dennis: Our prayers and thoughs are with you all. We love you all and wish Jerry a huge miracle recovery, If anyone can do it, he can,....I remember pre school, and how powerful he was and determined. He has the strength and determination to accomplish anything. afterall, he is a mc allister. we will pray every night. love patty, rick, cody and the rest of the freedmans. be strong