Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Jan 23

It's my night home and I look forward to sleeping in my own bed. As I reflect on the day's events I can't help but feel truly blessed. This evening a wave a fear came over me suddenly, from out of nowhere the thought of Jerry never walking again terrified me. I was reminded of Skyler Feather, I still have my son and his mind is undamaged. My heart breaks for Skyler's mother I pray that God gives her peace, I pray that she has support and love surrounding her through this tragedy. For those of you outside the SLV community Skyler was a young man Jerry's age from our community who was killed in a car accident a few days after Jerry's accident. Please keep Skyler's mother and family in your prayers. Even though Jerry's condition is devastating, God blesses me every day. If you look back over this blog I think you will find that God has answered prayer everyday since the beginning of this tragedy. And yet again God has answered prayer Jerry's Bone Density test came back negative today, this means as of yet the scan does not show the body depositing bone where it should not be, his hip appears to be safe for now. Jerry's blood work also came back normal. Praise God for these blessings.

Jerry slept well last night and had high spirits this afternoon, he enjoyed a little playful bantering at skills group with the therapist and smiled often. Jerry worked hard at exercise group and spent about 7 hours in his chair today. It seems like the right side of his body is getting a little stronger. Jerry had very little movement in his right bicep in the beginning howerver it seems to be getting stronger. Dennis and I enjoyed a quite evening with Jerry watching a movie (Hancock), it's so nice to just do something normal.

We have learned of another rehab center that is similar to Project Walk, this center is located in Pleasenton. We need to research this new center, how wonderful it would be to have the type of program we are looking for within driving distance of our home. If anyone has a little time to research other aggressive SCI (Spinal Cord Injury) rehab centers, we are totally open to your findings. We want to explore all options for rehab and choose the very best program available for Jerry. You can send an email to denkat@ihwy.com of anything worth looking into. Please pray that God will lead us to the place that offers Jerry the best chance of full recovery.

Jerry's been feeling some strange sensations that have caused him some anxiety. He has a hard time describing what he's feeling and his desriptions sound strange. Jerry said that it feels like when he is breathing his lungs are hitting something that makes them hurt, he also describes a feeling like his collar bones are poking through his skin. Jerry also said that if feels like he can feel the inside of his stomach and it's sticky and things are sticking to it. Lastly Jerry said he feels the inside of his body and if feels wierd, he can't feel you touching his legs but he said he feels his legs deep inside the skin. The doctor explains that the body will have strange sensations as it goes through the healing process. Please pray that if these sensations are not beneficial that they would go away. If these feelings are good, the brain trying to reconect to it's body, then pray that God will complete that healing and relieve Jerry of the discomfort and anxiety. Finally as always pray that God will heal each and every damaged nerve and restore Jerry's ability to walk and run and fly.

Thank you,

Katie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Katie, I thought it was my night to write? Love ya anyway

Laurie Lester said...

It's okay... we got a double treat tonight!! I'm continually praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

Katie,
Thought of a scripture when I read of the fear that came out of nowhere. 2 Timothy 1:7
We know fear doesn't come from God, so the enemy must be trying to get in his last shot before he finally goes down to defeat!
Thanks for the update, not only is God working in Jerry's body and life, He has done so much in my heart and mind, and all who have been "Following Jerry".
We will continue to pray.
Jerry, Each day is like a new "Competition" to give it all you got. Your doing great !
Dennis, It's amazing how fast we can type with two fingers...ain"t it.

Anonymous said...

First 3 posts - lol ! Thanks for the laugh!
It was very nice to see a post from both Dennis & Katie. Not only does it gives more insight and focus of what to pray for, 'double' posts - double the inspiration. The posts and all the comments give strength, perspective, to your "readership"

Hope & prayers for a good day, field trip.

Katie: So sweet of you to mention Skylar (sp?) Feather & his mother.
It was a double whammy of sad news for the community to open up that Monday morning paper & learn of his tragic death. I do hope his mother knows that so many of us in the valley were and still are praying for her. I sent a card to her telling her this. She may not remember me, but most of us parents 'watched' each others' kids grow up - from elementary thru to graduation day last June.

Jerry is one of those 'kids'.
I remember one day at Redwood Elementary - I was waiting outside Mr. Whiteman's room and this really good looking young man rounded the corner that just caught my eye - his posture so upright and straight, and a certain confidence on his young handsome face...I can still remember thinking to myself "oh, this kid is going to be a real heartbreaker someday"! Of course, this was not the heartbreak I was thinking of then. The point is that I saw something in him that just stood out - in a good, almost significant way. I remember asking my daughter (Laura) "whooo is that kid"...
Remarkable people stand out, and Jerry is one of then! I saw it then, & I see it now, and I don't even know you all! I just know that he is a friend of my daughter's and her boyfriend and they think Jerry is great!
I know you read the comments so I just wanted to share that with you.

The community continues to pray for you all.
Sharon Ferry

Anonymous said...

Katie,
We are truly blessed by our children every day. I pray that you will find continual peace knowing that all of your children are held in God's hands. Whether they are out with friends, in school, safe at home, across the country, or in the hospital, wherever they are God is with them always. God is with you and with Dennis each day while you sit with Jerry, while you drive over the hill, while you sleep at night wherever you are God is always with you.
Last night I was telling someone about your family and what you are all going through and what miracles have been occurring. I got all excited and worked up fully aware that God has a plan for this young man back in my hometown. I believe that the answered prayers are just the beginning of the miracle that is going to happen when one day Jerry walks onto an aircraft destined for outer space. Keep the dream alive and NEVER give up the fight. Jerry, your desire to fly was put their by God, and his plan for you WILL be revealed. Go show those therapy machines you mean business! Dennis, thanks for the descriptions of the valley. It was a walk down memory lane :-)
Brooksie, Marietta, GA

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to read that you continue to move forward together as a family with the love and support of so many.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Loved reading from both of you! Your indomitable spirits shine through and give us such comfort-go figure!

It never ceases to amaze me all who care and carry you in their hearts and prayers and how generous you are with your prayers and concern for others.

Jer, I've got something Torie's dad Peti handed off to me, for you, from Torie. Wow, that was a mouth full. You probably already know he tried to get to see you last weekend after having his wisdom teeth out (ick and ouch), but, he and Gabe were never able to connect before he had to go back to SLO. Anyway, Peti came to see Mary's game Tuesday and gave me something to bring over to you - hopefully Jennifer and Mary will be able to pop over sometime this weekend.

Love and hugs and kisses,
Trish

Eric said...

Your faith Katie.. is amazing. Through something that seemed so dark, your faith and God's wonderful promises have poked so many holes in that black sheet, that the stars shine more brightly than ever.

Keep shining, keep plugging away at the darkness that threatens to overcome. Let angels surround you as the people lift up prayers.

Anonymous said...

You guys are an inspiration to the rest of us! I'm glad for all the answered prayers and will keep praying with you for Jerry's complete healing.Sounds like Jerry's certainly doing his part to make it happen!

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me!I always forget which thing to click.
(techno challenge)

Love,Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry,
First off, we LOVE YOU!
Just wanting you to know that the healing powers and the answers to the multiple prayers that the big wide world (not ABC's Wide World of Sports) and our tiny little Valley have been sending you via "Our Lord," are happening now and forthcoming! (check out the map again(-: )
Keep the smiling up and the mending. And PLEASE DO NOT FEAR because you are riding under God's wings.

Katie and Dennis,
We got a real treat last night. As you know, we wait daily for word on Jerry and the kids, sometimes hitting this blog more than blinking. And low and behold, both Mom and Dad sent us word on "our boy." Good News too!
I would like to also point out, Katie and Dennis, you exemplify what a faithful Christian family you are. Why eles are all these people loving on you?
That you are able to think about another mother, while dealing with your own, very real crisis, is extremely humbling. (Ed also coached Skylar a few seasons in Rec Basketball, and we shed many a tear over this sad news.)

Lord, we pray that Skylar's mother would be comforted by the fact that "her boy" was loved too! And we pray for her grief and sadness to subside and that she too would be enveloped with a sense of peace and serenity that only you, Lord can provide. AMEN

Lord, we also pray for the "Right Stuff," where Jerry needs to head off to. We ask you Jesus, to cover all of us with the answers that will take him to the best program. AMEN

We can't wait to have ribs and potato salad and whatever else I can wrap my arthritic fingers around. (Jess and Jenea, should I do the Mammoth potaoes with bacon instead of regular potato sald?
To vote...text someone who texts, which isn't me)
Oh well, it's Josh who get's to pick unless Jerry tells me different!
Love you, sleep tight!
GL