Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday Night - Jan 20

My first night home was tougher then I thought it would be, the closer I got to home the more emotional I became, it was hard to hold the tears back. When I pulled up to the house the emotions came flooding back, the Christmas lights were on (still on the timer), again it was hard to hold back the tears but I didn't want to freak the kids out so I pushed the emotions down. I went in the house and could not hold it back any longer, the Christmas tree is still up with opened gifts still under it, it was like it was still Christmas. This morning I felt much better, it's amazing what prayer and a good night sleep can do.

I was excited today to get back to the hospital because Jerry was starting a new therapy, he finally got to do a more physical rehab. Today was physically exhausting for Jerry, he was in his wheelchair for 6 1/2 hours, thats the longest he's been able to tolerate. In the gym workout today Jerry had each arm in a sling that hung from the ceiling to support the weight of his arms, his arms where chest high. Jerry would use his biceps to pull his forearms in to the chest and his shoulders to pull the arms back out. Jerry also used another devise to work his bicep, it's like pedaling a bicycle with your arms. His hands were strapped to the pedals and the machine worked out his arms. Needless to say be the time Jerry was able to get in bed he was in a lot of pain and was exhausted. A few friends came to visit and it amazes me no matter how bad he's feeling a visit from friends always lifts his spirits and brings out his smile. I love to see him smile :-) Tomorrow is another big day, Jerry gets to go on his first outing, several of the patients are going to the movie. We will be going to a movie theater a few miles from the hospital to see the new Clint Eastwood movie Grand Tarino, he's excited about that.

God has answered so many prayers and I'm so thankful that he consistently gives us something new each day. Everyday there is progress and that sustains us to keep our spirits high and our hope alive. Praise God for answered prayer and please continue to pray for Jerry and a complete healing.

Good Night
Katie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright!! ..Jerry gets to head out for the movie house!! Jerry, ..I was a bit worried about asking your mom if we could fill your bed with pillows, and sneak you over to the spaghetti dinner at the Firehouse, ..but does this mean we don't have to try and fool the nurses???? ..will they let you go with a smile?? I hope so! ..and I hope you are feeling good that day, and every day!!
Those nurses are really smart though, ..so I won't argue with their decision, ..heck, I can always slip a big plate of spaghetti (..and some garlic bread!) back into your room, ..we can eat it there, and you can tell us all if Clint Eastwood wins over another struggle in the Torino movie!
Say, did you ever get a card rematch with that other guy (.."Oodi" I think you said) who won all those games the other day?
..should I bring that deck of marked cards???
I'd say a "poker prayer" for you, ..but I think God will just be happiest to see you keep that strong smile on your face, ..and that strength of spirit you have held on to so suredly.
You have a very strong hand, Jerry, ..and your playing your cards very wisely.
Good luck always, ..and God loves you!
------------------
P.s.,
Today our new President spoke of George Washington, who was qouting Thomas Paine, and they all came to this:
"With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come, ..with eyes fixed on the horizon, and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom".
When I heard it, I thought of you, and how strong you are!
Keep the faith, Jerry!
God loves you! ..We all do!

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

Good to hear of the progress, some days may be tougher then others but knowing what I know about you and your family, there is no giving up! You have many praying for you, take it one day at a time, and enjoy the movie.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry!
Have fun at the movie thing tonight, were defiantly doing prison break & olive garden soup next weekend=] You have a wonderful smile!

see ya soon

Anonymous said...

Keep it up Jer! This site is as much a life line to you as it is to all of us who are dedicated to your recovery. We mark our days by the new updates, shared faith and the realization that our prayers are answered with each improvement you make.
Hope your trip is good and the movie even better. Give your folks a kiss for me, until I can give one to them myself and I'm hoping to get Jennifer and Mary over to see you soon.
Thank you, Father, for the opportunity to pray for the particulars. Most of all, thanks and praise to you for your continued presence, so forcefully felt. We ask for your hand to rest upon this family. Guide the decisions they need to make and give them wisdom, discernment and peace of mind when necessary. Amen

Love to you, Jer, et al.

Trish

Unknown said...

ok, so it seems like every time I turn around, there is that Jeremiah verse: "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope." This morning I was reading a prayer newsletter, and I thought, ahah... it's not there. Then, I got to the very end and she said, "I will share God's "phone number"--call Him up at any time...He is there waiting to hear from you. Jeremiah 33:3, "Call on me and I will show you great and wonderful things." I'm dialing Him up, Jerry-- Dear God show us great and wonderful things on Jerry's behalf! Amen and Amen!