Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday Evening, Day 9

First, I apologize for the delay on a post.  I promise that you will find a new post here EVERY SINGLE DAY until Jerry has recovered.  But because every day is a little different, the posting time might vary.  But keep checking, and keep praying, no matter what.

I got to see Jerry very briefly today, in fact, he might not have even seen me as I talked to his gathered family and friends.  Like yesterday, he was able to spend several hours out of his bed and room in his wheelchair.  Yesterday, he took a ride around the hospital hallways, and today he spent time outside on the hospital patio as well as in the bright, sunny hallway just outside of the Rehab Trauma Unit.  This, of course, has been a fantastic development as he is able to leave both his bed and his room, giving his eyes a chance to settle on something new.  As I watched him from the distance, it was good to see him surrounded by those who love him, and to see him working hard to interact and be as much "himself" as he can be right now.

In talking with Dennis and Katie, both mentioned that Jerry is still having some strange sensations in his body.  At times he feels like crows are crawling on his arms, or that a dog is licking his hand, and that there are spider webs and sticky bugs on him.  At times, they've had to work hard to convince him that there is certainly not a dog in his room, and that no webs are on his arms, which has made for some oddly comical conversation.

Overall, it seems like the days are pretty encouraging and good.  A bit of "routine" is starting to be built, and for now, the days keep bringing something "new"--first, removing the intubation, and then yesterday, the introduction of the wheelchair and some freedom from his room.  Please pray that something "new" would arise each day, something that offers hope and encouragement.  Pray that Jerry will have good interactions with his caregivers, and that the determination and effort that he has always been known for will continue to see him through these circumstances.

As we are heading into night time, please also continue praying for the nights to get easier.  Last night, Jerry suffered with hallucinations until about 1am.  He then slept intermittently from 2-7am, but was waking up every 45 minutes or so.  Thankfully, the hallucinations had ceased by then, but instead he was waking up with confusion--wondering where he was and why he couldn't move--Katie said he would ask question after question, and wouldn't settle back down into sleeping until he had the answers he needed.  This was extremely tough on Katie, as she would answer his questions,  comfort him and get him back to sleep only to repeat the cycle the very next hour.  

Because of the nasty hallucinations and side effects, Jerry has been opting out of clicking his morphine button today in hopes that the hallucinations might cease.  Therefore, he is in a bit more pain, but the hope is that good sleep will finally come his way.   So please ask God to settle Jerry's mind and heart, and to intervene and remove his pain.  Pray that Jerry would fall asleep easily, and stay asleep throughout the night.  Pray also for Dennis, as he is with Jerry tonight.  Pray that as he needs to comfort Jerry and soothe any panic, that he would have the right words and prayers for the moment.  Pray for Katie, that she also would be able to sleep soundly and sleep without interruption.

Continue also in praying for Josh, Janea and Jessica.  As they each are coping with Jerry's accident in their own way, pray that God would give them peace, strength and a whole lot of courage.  Pray especially for Jessica as she attempts to keep up with school and some sense of "normal."  Pray for Dennis and Katie as they begin to consider what the new "routine" will be in not only caring for Jerry, but also for the other three kids.  Pray that God would continue to bind this family together and give them peace.

Katie asked this evening that everyone just continue to pray without ceasing.   It's clear that prayer is what Jerry needs most as these days blend into weeks.  Continue praying for his complete recovery, that he would be healed entirely from his ordeal, both physically and emotionally.  Join us also in thanking God for the work He has already done.  God has been so faithful in sustaining this family, and He has only just begun.

The MacCallisters again thank you all for the fantastic posts of Bible passages, and are still just stunned at the amazing outpouring of love that they are receiving.  Thank you for being the hands and feet of God at this time and may you and yours also be blessed through this story.

Until tomorrow,
Marci
marci@redwoodchristianpark.com

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God continue to fill each of you with peace; may you know that he is closer than your very breath; each time you breathe, be reminded that the Spirit of God breathes with you. May your sleep be blessed, knowing that our God stays awake so you might slumber unafraid.
Chaplain Rust
Embry-Riddle

Laurie Lester said...

Marci,
Please don't feel the need to apologize...the service you are providing for us "out here" and for Dennis, Katie and the family is immeasurable! We so appreciate hearing your beautiful words each day! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Dennis' sister,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I was saying in the previous post... but should repeat here... I always read my verse of the day from AIR-1 radio... and today... it was just as God always is---right there and right in place... the verse was... as copied and pasted (Praise god)

This message is being sent at your request. To get off this list, please read the instructions following today's verse.

-------------------------------------------------------------
AIR1.COM VERSE OF THE DAY - 1/10/2009
-------------------------------------------------------------

Philippians 4:6 NLT

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done.

Unknown said...

Marci,
Thank you for your postings. I think we all "out here" worry a bit until we here how Jerry is doing.
I will pray specifically tonight for those hallucinations to cease. For God to protect his mind and give him peace. And to give Dennis & Katie renewed strength & peace.

Wendy

Anonymous said...

It is real clear how BIG our God is !! To sustain all of you in such a difficult time is just amazing to me. It makes me pray even more often and I can't help but think each day will bring more progress for Jerry.
May God continue to hold you in his arms as His healing touch continues to work in Jerry.
Thank you for the updates.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Marci's updates are very appreciated, beautifully written!
My daughter, Laura, visited Jerry today. She reports that Jerry is still beautiful!! She was happy to see him talking and being his usual self, "just Jerry!" Laura says Jerry told them he couldn't wait to eat his first real food which will be on Monday. Laura and the other friends were going to wait for Jerry get into a wheelchair so they could follow him around the halls.
Laura and the other friends have been sooo anxious to go see Jerry. They'll always be there for Jerry.

Our family, & extended family in Auburn CA continue to pray for Jerry and his family.
Wish we could donate sleep!

Tonight, prayers for a deep sleep with sweet dreams, no pain or hallucinations, and peace for Dennis and Katie. We won't stop praying for you all.
Sharon and the rest of the Ferry family

Tara Brown said...

We are praying for you tonight so that you will not experience hallucinations but instead peaceful rest and calm. Love you guys, Tara & Mark - Ben Lomond

Eric said...

Tonight may our prayers be truly unceasing, Hear our hearts Lord as they are poured out before you

Unknown said...

As I read the progress reports about Jerry I am overcome with deep emotion, as those in our family know, I am no stranger to traumatic injury. My road to recovery has been a long one and continues to this very day. I can feel the greatest sympathy for Jerry and all the MacCallisters as I know from first hand experience how not only Jerry feels, but the impact on the family. I have had the most unpleasent misfortune recently of being inflicted with panic attacks, I wonder often to myself, "when will my afflictions cease, and why must this happen to me?" I now only wish I can carry the burden of Jerry's afflictions if only to ease his pain. I have been inspired by the MacCallister childrens strength, devotion and drive. Most 19 year old boys are off partying and "goofing" off while the MacCallister children are off trying to make the world a better place. I guess the point I'm getting to in my long winded manner is that God has a plan for all of us, and though sometimes we find that God's plan doesn't look much like our own, what I can say is that he is not through with Jerry yet, and if there is anything I am sure of on this earth it is that one way or another Jerry has, is, and will continue to make this world a better place. God bless you MacCallister family I love you all and am glad to have known you.

-Joshua Renschler
Yelm, Washington

Anonymous said...

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in- behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.

When I awake, I am still with you...
Psalm 139:1-18

On the night watch with you and praying all the time,
Fred and Jenny Baker

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry,

It's me man, I just wanted to tell you I have had you in my thoughts and prayers right after I heard about your accident. I swear that as soon as I can I will make a trip up to see you. I have faith that we'll get you up and going, together with the support of friends and family. I wanted to share with you my bible verse that always kept me going, especially when things got tough:

"The Lord is my strength, He makes my feet like those of the hind, and helps me to walk in high places." Habakkuk 3:17-19

I love you man, you're a great person and an even better friend. I will continue my prayers for you. I will see you soon.

-Chris Proffitt

Sara Pate said...

Hey Jerry,
Just wanted to let you know I have been continually praying and thinking about you everyday. I believe that god has some amazing plans in store for you. You are an amazing and kind person and I know that god will take care of you. Keep your head up and never forget that you are loved and charished by everyone you have met.
~Sara Pate

Anonymous said...

Jerry, I am up late tonight thinking about you. I cant believe how well your progressing.Hang in there you are going to pull out of this. God is GOOD and he is working a miracle in you. I am so proud of you, and continue to pray for you daily.

I love you

Uncle Mark & Aunt Brenda

P.S. Katie & Dennis if you need anything please let me know. I am here for you guys. I havent called I know you guys are busy with Jerry.

Anonymous said...

No flowery words tonight, but know that my prayers for you continue.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing every little positive thing that happens with Jerry and his family (Thank you Marci). I know that they have a long road ahead & that they will get through it together. I know that there will be days when a lot of progress is made & days where nothing new happens. So for now, I am going to look at his "survival" from the accident as his defeating his greatest obstacle. This way, every new accomplishment or every new progress he makes will be icing on the cake. I want to feel happy for everything that brings him happiness and keep praying that any pain or disappointment won't keep him down. We can all see where his strength comes from. It is so great to see all of the support that everyone is giving his family. We would have a much better world if everyone had families like Jerry's.

Lastly, please take a moment to pray for Skylar Feather and his family. He was an '08 SLV grad, like Jerry, who lost his life 2 days after Jerry's accident. I didn't know him but was heartbroken to hear about his tradgedy.

My prayers will continue... Josephine

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
You and your family are in thoughts and prayers. You already possess within you strong physical and mental health, as well as a great spirit and faith to guide you. I am amazed at the love and faith of family, friends and community who support you.
God bless and keep you healing,
Noreen