Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thursday night Update

Ok, I'm back.
Sorry had to eat again. Jerry is getting ready for a good nights sleep after having a few friends over for dinner. Seeing them brightened his day. Thank you! Once again he was smiling that Jerry smile. He has some Ben & Jerry's and a new episode of the Office so he is pretty content right now. Now I would like to give a big heartfelt thanks to all the staff here at the hospital. I know it is your job and such, but it truly makes a difference to the people you are serving and I would like you to know that. We have been treated with nothing but care and respect in this hospital from the top on down and it has been a gift from God. Thank you.

Jerry made it through all his sessions today even though he was very tired. After the skills meeting, he worked with some voice activated computer stuff and will hopefully soon be able to blog himself. I don't type fast enough for him I guess.

Well lastly I would like to answer a few questions that are getting asked of Marci.
First we are at :
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
751 South Bascom Ave.
San Jose, Ca. 95128
room 1E019

We can have things in our room, Plants, Pictures and we do have a window :)
But, Our room is not THAT big so that being said, please use discretion. We have to share a fridge with the whole floor also so a lot of food at the hospital is tough. We have to eat all the Ice cream (is that a bad thing?) and we have been having a hard time finding time to watch a movie. If you want to bring something that Jerry might like to munch on while you visit, go right ahead, but really we got so much in goodies and snacks, it's looking like Costco in here. Jerry likes visits. It always makes him smile, but we just have to make sure we don't over do it as there are many other patiences, and he is really active during the day. I would suggest calling before hand, and evenings 6-8 are usually the best time. I hope this is not sounding weird but I don't know what else to say. Cards and well wishes are great, and in a lot of ways thats enough right now, but sometimes a face is great too. The weekends and holidays are much less busy as most of the rehab is done during the week, so if you are being led.....

Other than that I think we are doing pretty well in here with all that is going on. Our needs are being met, and the love that we are feeling is heaven sent. I just pray that each day we make a little forward progress, and follow God's plan, and the rest will be OK. Today Jerry had some arm movement in his left arm, while laying in the bed with his arm at his side he was able to use his shoulder to move his arm. I lifted his arm and asked if he could move it, he was able to bend slightly at the elbow as he tried to draw his forearm into his chest. It's the most movement we've seen thus far and our hearts were lifted. Praise God for progress. One day at a time. I thank you again for reading and following this post, and for all the prayer, and I know in my heart that things will be OK.

God Bless you all.
Dennis MacCallister

PS. Tomorrow I will try and figure out how to put in some pictures and give a little more information about our family in the profile area of this page.

19 comments:

Laurie Lester said...

Dennis,
Thanks so much for your words. This blog is great, but it's really special to hear from you directly. I can hear your sense of humor through your exhaustion and concern, and that tells me you're ok. The Dennis Wit...

Keep taking it a day at a time... and I just expect Jerry to roll out of bed one of these mornings after his body wakes up; a little stiff and sore like after a grueling day. That's my ultimate prayer.

Until that day, we will continue to pray one step at a time along with you. Give my love to Jerry, Katie and the kids.

Hope to see you soon. The Maui Wowie is on me!

Unknown said...

So Dennis~ I'm so grateful for the update. Ever since we heard that Jerry had slight movement in his arm, I've been listening for more news. THIS IS SO GOOD TO HEAR... praise God! Through all of the exhaustion of this, am praying that you and Katie can stay strong, and Jerry~ keep it up! We are all pulling for you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks man, I'll keep on praying.
Fight the Good Fight

Gabe said...

Jerry, it was so amazing watching you move your arm! I feel truly blessed to have been in the room. I can't wait to see you again and I promise I will bring the Morenos burrito with me. Glad you enjoyed the tri-tip sandwich too.
Love and Prayers from everyone here,
Gabe

Anonymous said...

Dennis,
Can't tell you how bad I would like to drop by and see you guys. Hope to be out sometime soon, Thanks for all the info, I know God will continue to bless your family.
Jerry,
You may know me as that guy that worked with your Dad around the camp. You could tell when your Dad spoke of you it was full of Pride and Admiration for a Quailty young man. As God continues to heal your body, set you foundation DEEP in Him. He is a Rock and a Fortress for you. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! The movement in your arm is so encouraging! I am praying that a therapist will see the potential you have for a full recovery and steps up and gets you exercised. I know that the day is coming when every muscle in your body will be back in use and you want to be ready. You ARE God's perfect reflection in every way. Every bone, every muscle, every fiber of you is of God, and God is PERFECTION! I am blessed to witness through this blog the miracle of you. Keep us all posted!
And Dennis, I am sure you type plenty fast...Teach that boy some patience! ;-)
Brooksie from Marietta, Ga

Anonymous said...

Just heard about the accident from a co-worker, I will be adding you folks to our Prayer List and getting the blogsite over to the San Jose Chapter. I am the Chaplain for the Christian Motorcycle Association in Monterey,Santa Cruz and San Benito Counties. It is so good to hear of his Progress, Jesus can and does heal!

Anonymous said...

Dennis and Katie,
I am so happy that Jerry's day ended with a smile and that he was able to relax a bit with family and friends. Thank you Lord!
Jer,
I know that the days will seem long with all the work that you are doing, but it will all pay off in the end.
You have so many buds that love you (even though guys have a difficult time telling other guys how they feel.) Not being a guy, I have no problem telling everyone how much I love you. Anyway, Luke couldn't make it up this weekend but Gabe is here for you and that burrito he promised will be on it's way.
Keep your spirits up and remember we are all with you and praying for you and for the strength you need to get through today and the rest of your life.
Lots of love,
Gretchen
(By the way, Gabe, what were you doing up at 1:32am blogging?)

John and Mariana said...

Jerry, that movement is great. Sounds like you're making progress. Keep up the good work. Dennis and Katie, thanks for putting all the effort into keeping us all up to date on this journey. We check a few times each day. All our love and best wishes for continued progress.
John and Mariana

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. I really laughed about the room starting to look like Costco!
Moving his arm - prayers being answered!! Miracles, one small miracle at a time!
As always, will say special prayers daily for you all throughout each day.
Sharon Ferry

Anonymous said...

Dennis & Family,
Praise God for His blessings. Want you all to know that we have been praying for Jerry's complete healing and for strength for your family. Dustin keeps me posted because he works with Chris Sihler and I try to visit your blog every day to check in. We will continue our prayers -- TRUST that God is in control and He will see you all through this time!

Howards said...

Hi Dennis & Katie,

So glad to hear about the arm movement. What a wonderful, positive step in the most fabulous direction. The Howard's continue to keep you all in our prayers! Thanks for the updates.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for keeping us all posted. I was thrilled to read the news about the arm movement. I pray that this is just the beginning of more great news.
Frances Allred

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

I have been thinking about you all week, since I read the story in the SC Sentinel on Monday. I just finished reading all of "Following Jerry" and happy to hear you are already making progress; that is such great news. I plan to follow your news and updates and of course keep track of how many Maui Wowies you consume!
Stay strong....

Jon D Stallings said...

Hi, I was wondering if three friends of Jerry and I could come visit him at the medical center. Austin Fry, Sara Pate, Catrina Wilson and I want to visit him anytime we can. If it is possible, could you reply to this or shoot me an email at:
Tobywanshinobi@yahoo.com
We are all praying for Jerry and we would love to see him.
Thank you,
Jon D Stallings

Anonymous said...

I don't know if anyone will read this, but there is a website called teamcaring.org, where you can create a calendar of requests for things like visits to Jerry, or meals to be brought by, or meal for Jerry, whatever. You request, and folks can sign up to help. I wish the best for Jerry, and for my son, Matt. Love, Chris

Anonymous said...

quick look at teamcaring.org - looks like a really useful idea!

Jerry, Katie, Dennis - hoping it was a good day today and praying for a restful night for all.

Jerry,
You must be the most popular patient in the hospital!
May you have many smiles, and laughter too with your friends when they visit this weekend.
Laura and Jessie are looking forward to visiting you again I know.
You are in our prayers daily.
Laura's mom, Sharon Fery

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog since RCP sent out emails to alumni camp members. And more importantly praying. Thank you for the updates and sharing how God is moving. It makes praying for all of you so much easier when I have a hint of what you are facing.
Continuing to pray,
karla , redding CA

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Chris, Mary and I are here in Birmingham, AL for the weekend at the wedding of my nephew. It's frigid here. Our connection in Charolette, NC this morning was a brisk 50 yard dash to the plane in 11 degree temps. BBBRRRRRR!

Just finished dinner and an evening with family and friends and had many of my nieces and nephews - Gina, Chris, Angela, Ryan, Patrick, Jeff, Ellie and the groom, Steve all ask about your progress. They've been hitting the sight - not to mention their parents. As I told them all I had known up to yesterday, they all said how they've kept you in their prayers. WOW! I feel pretty darned lucky to know they're contributions are not falling on deaf ears.

Excellent progress, Jer! Way to go. Chris is here in AL and we've been chatting about you and your family and keeping up the thoughts and prayers.

So, I leave you with a heart full of hope and excitement at the awesome power of prayer and the amazing answers we get from God. Thank you, Heavenly Father for Jerry's determination, his family's love and support and all those who praise you in this storm. We hear you, we see you in Jerry's smile, we praise you and your works.

Blessings,

Trish