Friday, February 6, 2009

Feb. 5th. A better day

Today was a better day. It seems that maybe some of the steps we are taking with all of the medications are working. Eating crackers before hand, and staggering the times so Jerry doesn't have a belly full of meds. seemed to help out a bit today. Getting a good nights sleep also helped, and I thank the staff at the hospital for helping us with that. You're the greatest!He is not the most pleasant in the morning, and the doctors were a bit concerned, but I reminded them that he is a 19 yr. old boy, and how many of those do you know that like to be woken up? They kinda agreed I think.

He did make it through the morning routine well, and in the afternoon we thought we would try the standing frame again while he felt a little better. He managed to get up in it at about 55 degrees for about 10 minutes until he had had enough. The standing frame is something we are trying to work up to 90 deg. for 30 mins. It is a lot harder than it sounds, but is supposed to be very beneficial to your heart,lungs, circulation in your muscles as well as confidence. It's something a lot of us take for granted. After Katie showed up, we worked on transfers into a normal sized car, instead of a van. That also is more difficult as Jerry is a fairly tall individual, and you just don't have the room to maneuver him around as you do in a van. It went well though, and we didn't drop him once!

This evening we had a couple guys come to visit and it was a special time. All through this ordeal, we have been praying for someone that could give Jerry some hope, and someone he could connect with that he could relate too. We met a guy named Marv last week at one of the peer support groups, and tonight he had a friend with him that is a c-4 quad just like Jerry. His name was Hugo, and he was an inspiration indeed. You see he walked in to talk with Jerry. Not with crutches, or a cane, or anything like that, just a gait that looked perfectly normal. I would not have guessed in a million years that this gentleman had been in the same position that Jerry is in right now. A complete injury that was miraculously healed. He shared his story with us and it was tremendous. It has been a long 8 years for this man, but he was walking, when everyone around him said he would not. I don't have the time, or typing skills to tell his whole story, but it was a story that Jerry needed to hear at this time. As Jerry laid there listening, I could see the wheels turning in his head, and more hope come across his face. I know it made me and Katie feel good. I also know through God all things are possible, but this guy was in our room, and it was just what we needed at this very moment. Thank you Lord.

I've shared with many a person the story of my life, how I've felt that God has been faithful to my family and I, whether it was bringing me to Redwood Christian Park, or the times when we had no money, and somebody calls me and needs some work done. The times when I am most down, and I hear from a friend who just had the notion to give me a call. We have always been taken care of. I believe that these to men were sent to us for a purpose. To give us the strength to survive another day, and to get a glimpse of what could be on the horizon. My prayer for tonight, is that Jerry would feel this too.

Good night and God Bless.
Dennis

11 comments:

Laurie Lester said...

Fantastic! Thank you Lord for Hugo... Thank you for his healing and his sharing...what a blessing!

I can relate, Dennis, as you well know... God faithfully provides what we need, when we need it. Maybe not what we thought we needed, or how, or when, but His plans are always so much better than we can cook up!

I'm so proud of all of you! Keep up the good work! Have a fabulous time at the Spaghetti Feed! Not going to be easy allowing all those people to love on you, Mr. Humble, but know my heart is there also. Hang in there and try not to let it all overwhelm you too much.

I continue to pray all day long for Jerry...will focus on the upright...that he will be able to blow the 90 degrees for 30 minutes goal out of the water!

Have a great day in the Lord!
love, L

Anonymous said...

We all know that Jerry will walk again. It is not the journey your family is taking that makes the journey so special it is every little step and moments that happens along the way, like Hugo walking in last night.

Tara Brown said...

What a great post - that's awesome. Thanks Dennis.

Anonymous said...

Heart warming! Your post makes today a sunny day!!! What rain!?!!
Thanking God and praying.
Lots of work, lots of love, God, family, friends, Jerry WILL walk again!
Rain is supposed to taper off by tomorrow - I am praying for one big rainbow to appear over the Boulder Creek Firehouse for your Spaghetti Feed! If not in the sky, there will still be a rainbow of friends, family, community, strangers, all coming together with the same prayer in our hearts for Jerry, and the MacCallisters.
Sharon Ferry

Anonymous said...

2 Corinthians 4:7-10
Fri, 06 Feb 2009 00:01:00 -0800
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

Anonymous said...

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Amen...

Anonymous said...

Dennis,
Guess what I heard on the way to work today? Yes, it was you, agian!
KSCO Radio Station in Santa Cruz plugged Jerry's Spaghetti Dinner and added parts of your interview.
I happily cried the rest of the way to work and luckily I was already down Graham Hill and almost to Ocean St. I didn't even hit a single car! Amazing!
Your post last night was really uplifting and I am thankful for Hugo.
Thank you Katie and Dennis for all your patience and perserverance. You guys are the parents my kids could only wish they had.
Jerry,
Good job dude! You encourage thousands of people with your fighting spirit who read this blog daily. Your sheer determination to get through another grueling day is an inspiration to us all. (If they only knew it was partly due to your beautiful red hair.)
Dear Lord I pray that you give Jerry the will to get up and walk, like Hugo. AMEN!
We love you and will continue to followjerry.com to the end.
GL

Todd said...

Hi Jerry,

I don’t know if you remember me or not but we met in Denver when Jessica and my daughter Laura were playing softball. I wanted to let you know that I have a son too, his name is Craig. The reason I bring this up is because one of the memories I have or that Denver trip was how happy Katie and Dennis were when they were around you and when they talked about you. They were, and am sure still are, extremely proud of the man you have become. I remember that I hoped that my own son and I could have that magic when he was your age.

It’s hard not to get a little mushy writing this because I care very much about your entire family and reading some of your mother and father’s blog entries made me cry a bit but that's good for me.

Your sister Janea has cared for my youngest daughter Alia, your sister Jessica has been a friend to my daughter Laura, your Father had been a role model and your mother a friend and now you have the honor of being and inspiration.

When I got the first word of your accident I sent out a quick note confirming the fact that I would be on my knees praying for your entire family and after reading your fathers words in the blog I know now that my level of commitment to god needs to increase, maybe in some strange way you have saved me?

Peace
Todd

Anonymous said...

Hello, Jerry! ..and family!!
-
Well, Dennis, glad to hear your prayer hopes are on the radio!
Great job! ..Prayer in the air!
-
Prayers are at ground level, too:
I just finished setting tiles on a first floor family room, ..and when I was moving on up closer to the hearth, from the middle of the room (..on my knees of course) ..I see that family's picture of The Last Supper atop the mantelpiece.
I took my wax pencil that I use to mark cuts, ..and wrote "A prayer for Jerry" on the back of that tile, before buttering it up and placing it. Right in the center of the approach to the fireplace!
-
I had four more courses to go before I came up to the brick hearth, ..so I got to put "A prayer for Jerry" on more than 60 tiles, before they were firmly set down, in front of that warm-welcoming fireplace, with that inspirational assemblage of God and Saints pictured above.
-
The homeowners may never be aware of those wax-penciled recitations, ..but maybe they'll feel a little extra peace as they enjoy their fireplace!
-
But I am sure, that as they continue their own prayers for the world, some of their thoughts will travel on over to you, and to Jerry, ..so I thought I'd better let you know who these people were! (..LOL!)
-
Seriously,..

EVERYBODY wishes you the best!!!

(..Happy Friday, Jerry!!!)
-

Anonymous said...

A prayer for Jerry on more than 60 tiles, amazing beautiful thing to do!