Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday - April 23

Today was sort of a roller coaster ride for Jerry, it started well, the afternoon was not so good, the evening was great. Jerry and I got up early this morning and got through the routine a little earlier so he had an hour free time before we had to load up to go to therapy. It seems he feels better getting up earlier, the only down side, I can't get him to bed before midnight 1:00 o'clock. Getting up earlier means less sleep, mama's not so good sleep deprived. At any rate it seems to be working for Jerry, these last 2 days the nausea is at a very low level, it's been manageable for him. The day started very pleasant Jerry felt good then we headed out to therapy at Dominican Rehab. In therapy Mary Ann was going to work with Jerry in the Standing Frame, we transferred Jerry into the standing frame and that's when things started to go down hill. Jerry has a blood pressure medication that he takes as needed when his blood pressure is down. We didn't take it today because his blood pressure was fine, however the minute he tried to stand the blood pressure dropped and he was not able to get up in the standing frame. Jerry started to pass out when we tried to get him upright, he just couldn't do it today. Mary Ann decided to get him on the mat and do some balance work with him sitting on the mat. Mary Ann, bless her, was trying to work with Jerry but he just couldn't do anything today. Lesson learned no matter how good he feels he needs to take his blood pressure medication on days he works out. I gave him blood pressure medication mid way through the work out however it takes 3o minutes to kick in so needless to say therapy didn't go so well today. An hour after therapy Jerry felt good.

After therapy Jerry had an appointment to get his chin drive set up on the wheel chair, the chin drive allows Jerry to drive his wheel chair with by a joy stick under his chin. It took about an hour to get the chin drive set up, so by the time we left Jerry was in good spirits with his blood pressure back up. The tech said it's gonna take some time to learn...... it's gonna be frustrating at first, he doesn't know Jerry well. With only a couple feet to spare on each side of his chair Jerry went 3 feet turned 90 degrees left, went 10 feet turned 90 degrees right, went 5 feet turned 90 degrees left. Basically he was traveling in an isle between equipment, he went a few more feet, then went back the way he came, only he did it maneuvering his chair in reverse.............(BACKWARDS). He's already a pro.

After getting home Jerry and I went for a walk down to camp, he drove the chair the entire time. Jerry took the chair 4 wheeling in the grass that didn't go so well but he had a fun. I have to say the chair is a little scary on speed bumps on a hill, it literally looked like the wheel chair was going to tip over sideways. Jerry was having a great time driving the chair around and it was so wonderful for him to have control.

Jerry ended the day with 5 friends coming for a visit, playing Rock Band, with Jerry rockin the mic.

Thank you all for keeping us, Jerry and Allie in your prayers.
Thank you Lord for good days, it was a very good day, God is good.

Good night,
Katie Mac

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad & thankful that Jerry had a good day, and had some fun!
Mastering the chin joy stick so fast - hooray!
May today be a nausea free day.
SFerry

Grandma said...

I always new that Jerry had it in him. He has always had determination. I love you Jerry, and am proud of you. I also love you Josh, Janea and Jessie, and am proud of all of you.

Katie and Dennis, I too get alot out of reading the blog you both have your own way of writing, but I always feel inspired by both of you.

Love

Grandma

Anonymous said...

I haven't left a comment for awhile now. In the last ten days my family has been in a crisis. I woke this morning feeling sad, hurt and scared. I'm not sure why I decided to check the blog. After reading the blog today I feel stronger. I don't know why but your blog gives strength. It shows me the power of determination and love. It gave me comfort this morning and a reminder to pray and let God fill my heart.
Though, I don't check the blog as often as I did when Jerry was first hurt your entire family is in my prayers daily. Know that.
Thanks Jerry and family!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
All those flight lessons are paying off with the new chin stick. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before you are doing barrel rolls. Just be kind to your Mom going up "cardiac hill" at full throttle.
Sorry about the BP ups and downs and that stupid nausea. Wish there was an easy cure.
Anyway, I was wondering if you're planning on appearing on the next "American Idol," what with your wicked vocal skills on Rock Band? Luke and Gabe can accompy you on drums and guitar.
Katie Girl,
You sound like you need room service. (one of my favorite things) Let's get out of Dodge, even if it's only the SV Hilton for a night. Hey, maybe Nancy and Trish can join us for a reunion? (as long as we don't get kicked out....again.)And I'm sure Dennis and the kids can hold down the fort.
Lot's of Love and Laughter today,
Gretchen
See you all at breakfast tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I continually lift your entire family up in prayer...I'm so encouraged by Jerry's new freedom to drive himself around, this is the 1st step of many positive ones forward. It's been many, many years since I was at RCP, but I can totally picture Jerry zipping around.

I wish you all a joy filled, restful weekend.

Cheers.

Trish said...

Watch out everyone, Jerry's on the loose!! Glad to see you've got plenty in ya, Jer! Hear you've got lots of mobility without that C-collar, too. Moving toes, spasms in the thumb, dropping your arm off the chair just to give Mary something to do ;). She sure had a good time the other day.

Maybe with the early to rise, the early to bed will follow??! One can live and hope, right?

Love to you all, Macs.

Trish