Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday, April 26th

As the day winds down, it is a nice time to think about the week to come, but more important I think, it's a nice time to reflect on the week that has passed, for those are the things we know for sure. I know for sure we don't like staying up late and getting up early. I know we don't do early appointments, or rushing out of the house, and I know we need to do other things in moderation also, because there might be a price to pay later. I also know that writing down our thoughts and experiences is a wonderful way of healing, weather we realize it at the time or not, and that sometimes the things we do and say can have a impact on someone and maybe be just what they needed to get through the day. These are some of the things that I am reflecting on tonight, the things I have learned this week, the things that I know for sure.

But what I also know for sure it that people love us. People have come to our aid, and welcomed us in with arms wide open. They have come just to show they cared, and that we're not alone, and sometimes that is what gets us through the day. As I stood around and talked to folks at the pancake breakfast this Saturday( the crew had the pancake flipping covered for sure) I just felt blessed to live in such a great community, that would do this for us. People stopping in on their way to a baseball or softball game, kids still in uniform, or on their way to some other engagement, just to support my son, incredible. And the many volunteers who came just to help set up, or take down the event, and the Church it self for letting us gather there, simply amazing, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Kris, Nana, Sara,Leanne, Mary, thank you for getting this together, great job. Selina and Sister(?), Gretch, Mark, Pancake flipper Lady, Mitchel, Kayla, Colleen, batter stirrer boy, Kids who passed out food, John and Marianne, Sherrie, Mimi, Patty, Margret, and anyone whom I have forgotten, thank you, thank you, thank you, you all did a wonderful job. We appreciate your kindness for sure. And thanks to the many of you who took the time to stop by, in person or in spirit, we are eternally grateful, and I hope that seeing the way Jerry was getting around brought a smile to your face, because you all have been a big part of his recovery. Thanks too to the guys helping me at the house, getting closer to a good nights sleep for sure.

Mostly I would like to thank God for putting all these great people in our lives, and for giving us the strength to handle what ever comes along. We knew along time ago that sometimes in life you're going to have good days, along with some bad days, but I am thankful that God has taught me how to turn the bad days into good days. This too is something that I know for sure.

Good Night and God Bless,
Dennis

11 comments:

Mary Sullivan-White said...

Mac Family,
I know that I can speak for a lot of us, we would do it all again just to see that smile on Jerry's face!

Tara said...

Thanks for posting, Dennis. Even though I don't comment all the time, I read the blog every single day. Both of your insights are poignant and a continuing reminder to be grateful for the good stuff and pray. There is good stuff, and there is joy, when we are willing to look for and accept it.

Thanks to the team for hosting such a great pancake breakfast on Saturday - you guys did a great job! Also, thanks to Felton Bible Church for allowing the group to use their facilities. It was fantastic to see Jerry zippin' around on his own.

Got my bumper sticker stuck on the bumper - now I'm ready. :-)

Aunt Teresa said...

Wow, Dennis,Your are simply amazing!!!

Love
Aunt Teresa

Anonymous said...

It was fun to go the pancake breakfast and finally meet Jerry. I wanted to see just who I have been praying for! Jerry, you seem like a great guy who just happens to be in a chair for now. I know being there isn't fun, but it's going to be a blast to see you work your way out of it. I'm still praying for complete recovery, and for relief from the dreaded nausea!
Next time I looking forward to meeting your family.
Robin P.

Eric said...

It was great to be there, I was glad that I could make it to this one.
Good people. Good food.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Ed and I had such a great time with all the volunteers on Saturday. It's easy to see why these people are lucky enough to be called friends of the MacCallister's. They all have wonderful and generous spirits.
But I must admit seeing Jerry was the highlight of the morning. He stole the show with his infectious smile. What a guy!
I also learned the 20 second rule from Dennis and it was hysterical!
Praying for a good week, nausea and pain free for you Jerry.
Lot's of love,
Ed and Gretchen
Thanks for the hugs Jess!

Anonymous said...

Dennis,
Thanks for inviting us into your lives... I agree with Tara "both your insights are poignant and a continuing reminder to be grateful for the good stuff and pray"...

I am grateful and thankful to be able to give and receive (raffle prizes!).

Have a blessed week everyone!
Angela

Anonymous said...

You are BLESSED !!

Unknown said...

Your post was awesome Dennis. Sorry to have missed the pancake flippin' this past weekend-- heard it was a blast. I kinda got side tracked for awhile, but I'm still praying for complete healing for Jerry. I know it's in God's hands and time.

Anonymous said...

I love you Katie and Jerry=]! Hope everything is well. Do you know where the pictures are from teh pancake feed??? i want them=] love you guys im always here!

Kayla

Anonymous said...

i know that you dont have a lot to say at times because everything is the same, we all know that it takes time and it is hard to come up with something new to say everyday. just remember that if you just say hi all is well, it is a plus for us, so that we know our prayers are being answered, and we will continue and not worry, because all is well, god bless