Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Monday - April 20

As we settle into the routine of getting through each day it's hard to believe we're approaching 16 weeks post injury, 4 months. Seems like yesterday and a lifetime ago if that's possible. Each day that goes by the routine gets a little easier, how I wish it wasn't our routine. I used to love to be a stay at home mom, I secretly wished I didn't have to work and could continue being a stay at home mom. Be careful what you wish for....

Jerry continues to struggle with the nausea it's up and down and the new medication doesn't help at all, it's exhausting. On a positive note Jerry got the OK from the Doc to toss the neck brace, well not completely. Jerry will still have to wear the neck brace in the car as a precaution for the next four weeks. Jerry feels so good without the brace and amazingly he has really good movement in his neck and is much stronger than we thought he would be. It does look as if his neck is about 2 inches longer though, I think it got stretched out ;-). Jerry feels strong as far as holding his head up on his own however his endurance for standing has plummeted. On Thursday last week Jerry could not tolerate being in the standing frame for more than 5 minutes and today he could not even get up in it at all. Before he ever got up to 90 degrees he was starting to pass out. It's one step forward and two steps back......Lord give us patience.

The kittens have been such good therapy for Jerry he really has gotten attached to them. They are so entertaining to watch and make him laugh till he has tears. We are lucky to still have Rico with us. I opened the refrigerator to put in the coffee creamer and then shut the door, 5 minutes later I hear Rico meowing, after a minute of searching I follow the sound back to the refrigerator. Yup Rico was locked in the fridge, scary, I'm glad I wasn't heading out he could of been in there a long time. The last thing we do before heading out to SCI-FIT is get Jerry a travel cup of Ginger Ale for the road, I had to stop and come back to make sure Rico wasn't in the fridge again, now I'm paranoid. :-)

Good Night and God Bless....
Katie

8 comments:

Tara said...

Thanks for posting. I'm sad that Jerry's new medicine didn't make the nausea go away - I don't know how he stands it.

I had a kitten once who dashed into the fridge right before I left for work and I didn't know it till I got home. He went on to live a pretty good life after that. If it had only been 5 minutes in there maybe he wouldn't have been so dumb, haha. (nice cat, but geez.)

I put the Pancake Breakfast flyers up in the window at work. Everyone's gotta eat, and what's better than pancakes? Can't wait!

Have a great day and try to stay cool.

- Tara

The Proffitts said...

Goof ball kitty! Would that be considered one of is nine lives?

Yup, two steps forward, one step back. Did I ever tell you celery has a natural calming effect on the stomach? Hey, at this point I'd try anything for the nausea. I'm sure you've considered acupuncture, too.
Do they say why he is experiencing the nausea? Is there any explanation - we understand the explanation why Jerry's body can't regulate it's temperature in heat and cold, is there any medical explanation to the nausea? do other SCI folks experience this or is this unique to Jer. I mean we know how unique he is, but this is silly.

Father, we continue our prayers for healing for both Jerry and Allie. We pray for their parents and families as they live with their new routines. Father, may we be open to your presence. Some days are harder than others, Lord, when we see our children deeply challenged by life and it's circumstances. Like you, we want to see them thrive. Thank you for the people who you've put in our lives as support,guidance,examples and as opportunities to grow in your love. Please, please help us find a solution to this nausea!! Amen

Hope you day is cooler than yesterday and complete with a new step forward!

Much love, The Proffitts

Anonymous said...

No neck brace. Now that's a picture I would love to see posted.
Hey Jer,
I'm sure Rico was just trying to stay cool but the question is, would he jump in the oven if you opened the door. (Katie, you better check both before heading out of the house.)
We are all gearing up for Saturday pancakes and looking forward to seeing all of you there.
Lord, please help us help Jerry with his nausea. Give us some sign as to what might make him feel better. Grant Jerry and Allie strength and their families protection from fatigue and give them the answers they require to keep up the fight. Amen!
Love,
Gretchen
Just a note: In talking with some of my co-workers, they have said Medical Marijuana can help nausea in chemo patients.

Gabi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabi said...

Blogger Gabi said...

Thank you so much for keeping us updated,the kitty story is hilarious,well not that funny....!!!But what a crazy kitty (-:!!
I realize how amazing it is daily, to go and read all of your blogs and keep informed of the good and not so good days.
May peace,patience and love stay with you..
The Crowley's

April 21, 2009 8:44 AM

Candace said...

Hugs to all you McCallisters! Katie and Dennis, I appreciate your honest sharing of the triumphs and setbacks in your new life. I'm so glad that the kittens give Jerry joy.
Rico must be related to one of my kitties. We named her Victory because she used two of her nine lives before she was two months old! She's still here and a really sweet kitty.
We continue to pray for Jerry and Allie. I know God is not capricious, and so there really is a plan for a hope and a future for all.
Thanks again for your blogs.
Candace in La Grange

Anonymous said...

Keeping you all in our prayers, especially for the nausea, Jerry & nausea - praying that the answer will come soon.
Praying for Allie & her family.
We don't know them. Does anyone know if there will be a website for her progress, like this one?
Praying she has great family and friends like you MacCallisters.
re: the antics of kittehs...
I come across pictures of cats in refridgerators all the time at the lolcat site icanhascheezburger.
Of course in pics, the fridge door is always open. Rico is not alone in the kitteh world with refridgerator fascination! He was probably jus lookin fur a cheezburger! Cats - ovens, yep, gotta watch those felines!
On a serious note, our next door neighbor left her dryer door open when she left the laundry room. Not a happy end to that story.
Chimney climbing another favorite of mischevious kittehs!
S.Ferry

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say I did the same thing with my cat but it was the dryer instead . still praying for ya daily jerry keep working hard your amazing . Have a wonderful day today and stay cool . God bless