Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday - April 6

People have been asking if we have male or female kittens, I'm a little embarrassed to say I could not tell the difference, I honestly did not know. A friend of mine, Chris was able to decipher with no problem at all, we have one female and one male. There have been so many cute name suggestions, I really like PTie and OTie or Jack and Dianne. We all have to agree which is proving to be harder then expected. Jerry has never been so opinionated on naming a pet, oh well we'll figure it out.

Jerry is back on the nausea train and today was particularly difficult. Jerry started out with nausea from the time he woke up and it progressed and got worse throughout the day. After loading up the van we had a couple of errands to run before heading down to SCI-FIT. Jerry had a really hard time getting into his workout because he didn't feel good. The trainer Jerry was great at deciphering just how much to push and when to back off. Jerry did get to try the gait trainer machine, which I was very excited about. Jerry basically got up in the machine just to try it out, he wasn't able to tolerate it for more then a couple of minutes because he felt sick and needed to come back down. I look forward to when he will be able to tolerate it for a period of time so the trainers can actually move his legs and go through the motions of walking. Jerry has a new nausea medication which he tried out for the first time today, didn't do a darn thing to curve the nausea. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!!!! That's me venting my frustration, I just want to fix it for him but I can't.

Tomorrow's another day, please pray for no nausea, pray for a productive workout out at Dominican Rehab, pray for determination and strength. Thank you all for caring and praying.

Much love,
Katie

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jer,
Don't dispare about that darn nausea rearing it's ugly head again. The Lord is going to show you a remedy we all forgot about. Besides the soda crackers and ginger ale, have you tried tea? Sometimes peppermint works for me.
Today my prayers are lifted up to the Lord asking for the nausea to just melt away and give you added strength.
Lord, keep the MacCallisters strong through this holy week. Give them a renewed sense of being and the determination that is required to do your work. Give Jerry peace and a light heart today. Amen!
Love,
Gretchen
Jess, good luck in the rain if your game is still on today!

Unknown said...

Hello....I haven't posted before but I have followed Jerry's progress since his accident. My son Matt Shisler ran with Jerry for two years - and when Rob called the house and asked to speak to Matt last January, we could tell something was very wrong.

Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about the nausea problem because I used to suffer when pregnant. I know it's not the same thing hormone-wise of course, but I did have some success taming it with a certain medication that is now not available - Bendectine (sp) - it was an anti-nausea drug that I think combined vitamin B 6 and pseudoephedrine. Before I started on that I had gone to the dr and was given a shot of B6. I mention this because maybe there is some combination of things you can find some combination of things for Jerry to help him feel better.

Also, I realized that much of my nausea was motion-related. By my fourth child (Matt!) I realized I could NOT watch Wheel of Fortune on TV when I was pregnant! So when I rode in the car I only rode in the front seat so I could see out the window to the horizon - I don't know if you can position Jerry in the van so he can see out the front window. That might help.

I had also tried those little wrist bands that have a little button thing that pushes on a pressure point on the inside of the wrist. Now there is an improved version called Psi (I think they are at some Longs and Riteaids) and the cool thing is that you can adjust the pressure so that might help. These were originally developed for people with sea sickness.

FInally, a friend of mine years ago used to take a little bit of coke syrup (she got it from the pharmacy at Longs) and that helped her with nausea. She also visited an acupuncterist who gave her some kind of tincture that was going to affect her liver and treat nausea.

Of course these are not meant as medical suggestions, but just a review of what I've encountered over the years. I know you are getting excellent medical care, and there may be nausea issues particular to spinal cord injuries, but I wanted to share this with you, particularly the improve Psi wristbands.

I work at Soquel High, I walk the track sometimes at lunch - when my foot hits the track a prayer goes up for Jerry and all your family.

When I was going through a hard time I asked myself "what has happened to my life?!" and during that time our Lord whispered to me that my life was hidden in His. I found that to be a great comfort when nothing seemed ordinary or normal.

Love,
Susan Shisler

jessrun said...

Hey Mac's!!

jerry's issue maybe blood pressure. He may need a drug to help that, ask your doctor I forget what it is called. Sudafed works just as well, though.

Jerry had mentioned he liked the name Ceasar for a name, what do you think of Cleopatra. Or Boris and Natasha, Mufasa and Zirobie, Simba or Nala, Lady and Tramp. I'll stop there, we had a Sir and Nala.

I hope all was better today!

Anonymous said...

Mordecai and Esther. Two great names for two gorgeous kittens!

Anonymous said...

Boris and Natasha
Mordecai and Esther
Jack and Sally
Jack and Diane

Cute kittens!

The Proffitts said...

Gee, Jer, I'm bummed the nausea won't seem to abate. I can only imagine what you think and feel about it. Shucks! This weather probably doesn't help either. Mary and I were in Greeley, Colorado checking out U of No. Co. and it was 73 degrees and clear as a bell - the ag smell was a little on the overpowering side, but the rest of the experience was pretty great. She'll tell you all about it, now it's time to make some choices and it'll be tough.

Anyway, we're home for a while now and hope to get along to see you and the folks - maybe some Mammoth Stew is necessary?

Father, we ask you to bring relief from nausea and anxiety and discomfort to Jerry. You have blessed them, Lord, with resolve and fortified them with the support of those who love them and we pray you continue to show them your mercy, tenderness and greatness through healing. It is through you we come to understand this life we live; continue to lead us as we do our daily best to glorify you. Thank you for the love and friendship so many share as they read Jerry's blog. You have joined so many together through Jerry, Lord, may he understand your purpose through this event. We praise and thank you for all you have shown us. Amen

Hope the day has it's bright spots amid the clouds, dear Macs. Love to you all.

The Proffitts