Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wednesday - March 4

Today was a laid back day for Jerry. Jerry stayed in bed until about five today because he had an in home appointment with the occupational therapist at 11:30 today and with the physical therapist at 3:00. It would be easier for the therapists to work with Jerry in the bed. We went through our morning routine until OT arrived which happens to be someone we've known for several years, our sons were friends. OT left about 1:ish so Jerry worked on his voice activated software while waiting for PT. Jerry did his facebook for awhile and spent some time reading the blog, he has a lot of catching up to do on the blog. Thank you all for commenting it means a lot to us and I know it's encouraging for Jerry. PT didn't arrive until close to 4:00, we went over range of motion and Dave showed me a few more exercises we could do for him.

Jerry's nausea was almost non-existent today as well as his pain. I moved his afternoon supplement of Neurozyme and Mental Clarity to morning. It seemed like the medications he takes around 3:00 may make him feel better, he almost always feels good after 5:00. The only other meds he takes at that time is Nuerontin and Aspirin for blood thinner. The hope was that maybe the two supplements I moved to morning may be making him feel good and by giving them in the morning maybe it will eliminate the nausea. I'd like to say it worked however I think it's likely the lack of nausea was probably due to spending the day in bed with minimal movement. Tomorrow will be a better day to test that theory because he will get out of bed early and have more movement. On a positive note Jerry went through the whole day with no pain meds.

It's almost 11:30 pm time to hit the hay, until tomorrow...
God bless,
Katie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aahhh, down days. Rest days, sometimes those are the most frustrating and sometimes they're the most healing - yah just never know.

The thing I love about you Macs is the way you play with the cards you're dealt. Yeah, it'd be easy to get pretty low, which I'm sure on occasion is the card you pick up, however, it's clear that it's the first one you discard, too. Some days are royal flushes others are serious bluffs. The point is, is that you never take yourself out of the game. Texas Hold 'Em is now Mac Hold 'Em and in so doing, you help show the rest of us not to tip our hands, but to hold on and wait for the right card. (Mind you I've never played the game and I like the analogy :)

The sky is alight with brilliant color this morning. The horizon looks dark and threatening, yet the color and lightness in the foreground is amazing. The contrast is breathtaking. As I contemplate the day, thinking of you and projecting my thoughts on to you my prayer becomes my the chorus from one of my favorite Casting Crowns song: Father,
"I'll praise You in this storm,
I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise you in this storm.

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
The maker of Heaven and Earth."

Blessings on your day, dear Macs!

Trish

Gabi said...

today should be last day of rain(for a bit at least)....wishing you some positive ,encouraging and successful days ahead!
Thinking of you all and sending all the love we have.
The Crowley's

Anonymous said...

David-PT and Cheryl-OT from VNA are awesome. Thanks SLV running parents from another former SLV running parent, protect and help heal Jerry. Do what you do best. Help our boys body to keep moving.

Rest is good and Jery you deserve it and so does Katie and Dennis.
Praying the nausea doesn't get you down today and that you get up and fight the good fight another day.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Hey it's almost daylight savings time and Spring which indicates moving forward. That's my prayer today. Lord keep the MacCallisters moving forward. Amen.
Gretchen

Monack said...

Hi Jerry, Dennis and Katie,
Just wanted to let you know that we are still praying for you and we follow your blog daily for updates.
Tommy, who is currently training for deployment to Afghanistan (Army, Combat Engineer), called today and he asked about you. I shared your progress from your blog. Frank is currently at basic training (Army MP) at Fort Leonard Wood, MO (we call it misery, LOL). I wrote him about your dinner and was able to share what an incredible event it was! Even more incredible, you were there!

Keep up the hard work Jerry. You are an inspiration to us.

The Monacks