Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday - Aug 25

I can't believe school has started already, summer is over yet is seems like it just began. I feel sad that Jerry is not heading back to school like most of his friends. This is the time in his life when he should be getting excited about new roommates and classes, worrying about girls and books and what will his professors be like. My heart breaks that his life is consumed with therapy, medication, pain, nausea, fear that he'll never be able to move his arms or legs or walk again. Jerry is so strong and has faced this disability with such courage, he keeps fighting and working hard to regain mobility, I'm so proud of him.

We are thinking of adding another weapon to the therapy arsenal, acupuncture. There's a highly sought after doctor in San Jose who is world renowned in dealing with spinal cord injury and stroke. His therapy is not just acupuncture he also does intensive weight baring exercise. Dr. Zhu's philosophy is the patient should be in intensive exercise program 6 to 8 hours per day 5 to 7 days per week. That's just not feasible considering his cost however we are going to pursue one day a week and see if the doctor would be willing to work with Jerry.

We've been busy as usual, I spent all day Sunday clothes shopping with Jessica for back to school, man my feet and just about every other muscle in my body hurt. I hate getting old. Monday was hectic, Jerry had a massage appointment at noon, while he got his massage I took the babies (kittens) to the vet, Ricco was neutered, poor baby. I rushed home after the vet and had to get Jerry ready and loaded into the van. I had a hearing aid appointment at 3:30 and Jerry had a doctor appointment at 3:45, luckily they were in the same building. We left the doctors office about 4:45 and rushed to get to the photographers by 5:30 to pick up Jessica's senior photo proofs. By the end of the day I needed a massage but we managed to get it all done. It seems like everyday is full with Jerry doing therapy 4 days a week and keeping up with doctor appointments.

Dennis took Jerry to therapy today so I was able to get a few things done around home. It's so crazy keeping up with our schedule, I think it will get better when Dennis is done with the construction. Dennis is helping coach Jessica's softball team which isn't really good timing there's so much to get done around here to finish Jerry's bathroom. However it's Jessica's senior year and we can't neglect her because we're busy, we just make it work and do the best we can. What gets neglected are the dishes and laundry, oh well I hate those anyway.

Simone I loved your comment that you started running again and that thinking about Jerry keeps you motivated. Awesome job completing the "Race Through the Redwoods", you go girl!

We are so appreciative to Sheri Ross for putting together a classical concert to benefit Jerry. Sheri you are AWESOME, thanks for all your hard work. I hope some of you locals will be able to make the concert, we're excited and it should be a wonderful evening. For more info check out the top of the green box on the right.

I feel like my thoughts have been all over the place in this post.

6 comments:

Trish said...

Hey Katie, thanks for the reality check in your life. I have had some of the same thoughts as you, and know your heart is sad for your boy. With Jerry's buddies heading back to their respective schools, it'll be a let down for him, certainly.

Jess' senior year, wow! It's a great time of life to be sure. She's sure to blossom even more and with her pops hanging about helping coach and you there in the stands, it'll be terrific.

Acupuncture is awesome! Sure hope the doc will work with you guys at least once a week. You're on your way with the standing frame.

Blessings to you Macs. It has become a different life than you had thought it would be, to be sure. Here is my prayer for you tonight. Father, thank you for the summer days of friends who have stopped by and laughed and cried. Thank you for the genuine caring that has come to the Macs. Through you, Lord, comes their strength and on the days they don't feel so strong, you carry them. Fortify their hearts. Jerry's determination is great. Help him to move into this next phase of recovery with the same pith and vinegar he has approached everything in his life - 110%. Lay your gentle, loving hand on their hearts and heads and, through the love and support of so many, guide their path. With love and praise to you, Lord, amen.

Sleep well Macs. Love, Trish

Anonymous said...

How come Trish stays up so late????

Katie and Den,
You guys constantly amaze me. The energy you both have, I could only wish for a quarter of.

Dennis,
I am so happy to read that you will be coaching Jess' team. You're truely gifted when it comes to teens and the example you put forth while guiding them is a gift from God.

Jerry,
I heard from many a physician that acupuncture helps all ailments. Maybe it will cure the nausea? (Wouldn't that be nice.)
I know the boys are all heading back to school and that they will miss you as much as you miss them. Us old folks can't compare with the commraderie they provide but I'm sure we can give it a try.
Please remember that you are always in our hearts and prayers.
Lord, bless Jerry and his family. Keep them close and provide them with the strength they need to continue this long and winding road. Amen!
Go Cougars!
Lot's of love,
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Acupuncture is the best. My husband had a heart attack twelve years ago at the age of 38 and has been going regularly ever since. What a difference it has made in his life. God Bless and Good Luck...

Gabi said...

Dear Katie and Dennis,
do not know if you got the message from the Center,I called yesterday.My friend has a electric,double, extra long hospital bed with mattress to give away,great condition,with remote cotroll.
If you are intrestet call me 335-5878,or call Barbara Lofranco directly at :
831-252-4546,it is at her house in Felton.Ready to go!!
Much love to you all,Gabi

zack Hill said...

Hi Katie,
My good friend does acupuncture here in Santa Cruz.
http://www.meridiansantacruz.com/
He may be able help you guys, and he is close.
He has helped me with my ailments.
Keep on truckin!
zack hill

Trish said...

Hey Jer, you met my six year-old great-nephew, Kevin, at Mary's grad party. Well, I'm taking care of him and his three year old brother while their folks go to a wedding. Anyway, last night was the first night and as he went through his nightly ritual of saying his prayers, who's name should pop out, but yours. He saw my expression and he said, "Auntie, I always say Jerry in my prayers." Of course Auntie just about lost it. I smiled, tenderly, and thanked God for you with him and then turned out the light. I'll show him the pic of your new chair when he gets home from school.

Hope you have a cool day.
Love ya,
Trish