Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday - July 30

It's been a busy week and I'm looking forward to the weekend. Last Sunday I was in the emergency room with Janea all night. Dennis, Jessica and Janea volunteered at the Wharf to Wharf on Sunday, for those not familiar it's a 10K run in Santa Cruz. Janea started to feel dizzy about noon and by 2:00 she was vomiting. The strange thing is Janea felt fine all morning. Janea was so sick she couldn't hold anything down, by 8:30 pm her arms were trembling uncontrollably. I took here to emergency and they kept her all night, she was severely dehydrated and her blood pressure dropped scarily low 77 / 21. Three IV bags later her blood pressure was 80 / 50. They were concerned about releasing her but she was able to get up and walk around without getting dizzy and she was fully hydrated so they released her about 7 am. I was really tired because I didn't sleep at all and was sitting in the most uncomfortable chair all night. Janea slept all day Monday and is back to normal, I pray Jerry doesn't come down with it, it was awful. I managed to get about 5 hours sleep but was pretty wiped out on Monday.

Tuesday Jerry had his endoscopy, they didn't do the colonoscopy there was a misunderstanding on my part. The endoscopy went well, the results came back normal with a little bit of acid damage in the esophagus. The doctor thinks the ditropan Jerry takes for bladder spasms is relaxing the sphincter to the stomach so acid is backing up into the esophagus. The doc said that it could be what's causing the nausea so he put him on protonics. I don't think the acid is the nausea causer, he has been off and on protonics since he was in the hospital and it has never had an effect on the nausea. I'm going to request Jerry's doctor to order a stomach emptying study, I think he has a motility problem. We'll see. Jerry has felt pretty bad all week, however today he seemed a little better.

We had to cancel SCI-FIT on Wednesday because I had a doctor appointment. I have been having trouble hearing in my left ear for a few months now. The doctor put me on a steroid for two weeks to try and resolve the issue I'm having with my inner-ear. I had another hearing test and there was no improvement so the doc gave me a shot of steroid. The shot hurt, they poke the needle through the ear drum and inject the cream next to the inner ear membrane. After two weeks there is still no improvement to the hearing so at this point the doc has determined the hearing loss is permanent. I now have an appointment to be fitted for a hearing aid, how ridicules, I'm to young to loose my hearing.

Today Jerry had therapy at Dominican Rehab. Jerry did the FES hand bike. Every time Jerry does the FES hand bike he feels like he gains a little something back. After the FES session Jerry gained the ability to rotate his wrist slightly. This is new, until now he could only pick his arm up and let it fall but he cannot push it down or rotate it. Jerry also had a very slight movement in his thumb when he was trying to rotate his hand. The thumb movement is so small you could hardly see it, but it's there and it's exciting to have something new. I thank God for anything new because it keeps hope alive and renews motivation to keep working hard.

Jerry's friends from Florida are coming this weekend for another visit so I know Jerry is very excited about that. Tomorrow we are off to Pleasanton and then having a BBQ at our house for the summer staffers. Summer staff leaves on Saturday which is a bummer, Jerry very much enjoyed them dropping by for visits.

Well I think we've caught up and the dinner dishes are awaiting my presence so I will say good night.

Katie

6 comments:

The Proffitts said...

Good Heavens, Macs. Ears, throat, stomach, Dennis' finger. You all are such troopers!

Wrist rotations - I love the FES! Keep it up Jer!

We're off to Lassen on Sunday so no story reading, but we'll be back on the 9th. We've had two nephews visiting this week from Alabama and Huntington Beach. It's been great!

We pray for continued movement and healing, health and well being for all of you. Love, T,M,C and B

Anonymous said...

Katie, So glad to hear about the new movement for Jerry. I too hope that Jerry doesn't get sick. My Jerry (summer staff) was sick two weeks ago. He felt horrible (as did all the guys) but I don't believe that he was a sick as your daughter. As always your family is in our prayers.
Frances Allred

Uncle Neil said...

I'm glad you found the strength to write out all these events, Katie, ..it's great to see you're still in control of your time and your circumstances. That's what I pray for you most of all. Sorry about your hearing problem, I've got that one where I hear the "hissing" all the time, I keep wanting to grab the tuning knob and try to "tune-in the radio" better, because it sounds like loud "static" all the time. Oh well, we get used to everything after a while, eh? ..and, like you, it doesn't stop me from being able to do the kitchen dishes!
Clean kitchens are nice.
Glad to hear Jenea is feeling better, I hope she did enjoy the beginning of the "Wharf-to-Wharf".
You all deserve a smile daily!
You're all doing well, and Jerry too! ..Keep it strong, okay?? Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

What a week you all had. I'm glad Jenea is feeling better and thankful Jerry did not get this bug that's usually reserved for the winter months. Lots of staff here at my work have been down that road too.

The FES bike is so cool. Keep up the good work Jer.
By the way, I hope you and the girls from Florida had an awesome time. We were hoping to meet them this go round but will try the next time they are here.

Katie,
You are too young to be experiencing hearing loss but my sister-in-law started at age 30 and she's done just fine with hearing aids these past 20 yesrs or so. She teaches at her local college and has for some time.

Well, wish we all were going camping again. Maybe next year when Jerry can off road and run circles around the bears.

Lord, keep Dennis, Katie, Jerry and all the kids healthy. Wake Jerry's body up.

Lot's of love,
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

whoops...Amen!

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys,
Praying that all is well at RCP and that Jerry's nausea is managable today.
We love you all,
Gretchen