Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Trach Is Out

Just a quick update, it's late and I need to get some sleep but I wanted to let you all know the latest news. Jerry turned 23 today and had the best present of all, he had his tracheotomy removed yesterday. It took a bit of persuading on my part, the doc wanted to wait a couple more days, I convinced him Jerry was ready to go and we were capable of managing his care from home. The time has come and I am so ready, we finally get to go home this Thursday. Just 2 more days and we get to sleep in our own beds, I can't believe its been 10 weeks. Jerry will be getting home visits for therapy at least for the first month then will likely start the outpatient therapy at Valley Med. The full neurological assessment wont be done for a few months, likely once he plateaus and stops progressing.

I planned a little surprise party for Jerry in the day room, he thought he was going to join a group session for poker night, he was surprised. Janea, Josh and Jessica came and decorated the room and helped get things ready. We had about 10 of us for pizza and cake, it was nice to relax and sit around visiting. That's all for now, it's been a long day, I'm very tired.

Good night,

Katie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jerry! Glad you and your mom get to go home soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad good things happened on Jerry's birthday! May today fly by & everything go well...tomorrow too...Praying for quick uneventful and early discharge. Laura remembered it was Jerry's birthday. Jerry played Trionimos (sp)so he can add & we chuckled thinking that the day Jerry couldn't add - was probably because he just didn't want to !! ...Laura laughed saying that sounded like Jerry!
SFerry

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jerry!! It couldn't be a better birthday. Trach got removed and you get to go home. I Love you lots.

Grandma

Uncle Frank said...

Glad things are moving forward and you are closer to home. I stumbled across these today and thought you might like to review a happy day http://www.eastcountylive.com/galleries/jerry_mac_photogallery/

s.57th said...

i came across your blog this am not sure how but read your story of jerry.....all i can say is that God be glorified by all of this!! and it's all for our good....may you continued to have peace be comforted through ups and downs of jerry's recovery....i understand it's a long and very rough rode...i worked as a rehab nurse with sci and tbi patients for several years....
blessings to your family

Uncle Neil said...

I'm so glad you've made it home Jerry, Katie, ..and I'm glad you got "pizza at home" with your brother and sisters!!

You're a GREAT family!! ..and I hope the next few weeks bring you more and more ease and smiles.

Uncle Frank's pics are great, ..we are all rooting for you, and we wish you all the best and smoothest path forward.

We all watch your posts here, write again soon, and let us know how things are going!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and hope you are doing better. Always in my prayers.
SFerry

Robin Patrick said...

Hoping you are all alright. I keep thinking of you needing to find a new home and it breaks my heart. Prayers go out to all of you.

Anonymous said...

I check in every now and then to see how Jerry's progress is going. Hope Jerry and family are all doing well.