Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Night before last was a bit rough, Jerry went to sleep about midnight but was awake again about 2 am with high anxiety. It was difficult to get him to calm down, it's exhausting at his side trying to decipher the incoherent rambling. It took until about 4:30 to get him calm enough to go back to sleep then 7 am the crew starts trickling in, nurses doing shift change, phlebotomist, ENT, General Doc, Pulmonologist, needless to say I'm a little tired, I did get a better night sleep last night, thanks to my aunt Stephani and Erin for bringing me a new bed, higher up off the floor, way more comfy and I'm high enough now that I don't have to get out of bed to make sure Jerry's still asleep, I can see him from my bed....thanks again guys!!!

Yesterday morning the nurse did not dissolve the medication completely before injecting via the feeding tube as a result the feeding tube got clogged. In her attempt to unclog the tube she may have dislodged the feeding tube from his stomach. Jerry started leaking the contents of his stomach through the skin at the insertion point of the tube. The tube feed has been put on hold until they determine the placement of the tube, he had an ultrasound and xray with dye, we're still waiting for results.

Jerry's been off the ventilator for about 5 days now and he's tolerating it very well. Jerry's trach was downsized yesterday morning and so far he's had no problems. The plan will be to downsize the trach again in 3 to 4 days provided he's still tolerating well. With the next downsize they'll cap the end of the trach so it forces him to breath normally through his mouth and nose, if he tolerates it for 3 to 4 days then they will be able to remove the trach completely. Once the trach is out he'll be monitored a couple days then ready for discharge. If all goes well we could be out of here in about 10 days and on to the next phase of recovery. I'm gearing up again to fight the fight of getting Jerry accepted into Santa Clara Valley Medical neuro rehab center. I'm hoping it won't be as much of a nightmare as it was before, I don't have the staff support and advocates here that I had at Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz.

I owe a huge thank you to my dear friend Trish who came to sit with Jer from noon to midnight on Saturday so that I could attend a wedding. Trish has been a huge support, bringing food, even made home made baby wipes that all the nurses love. You might have a new business Trish, all the nurses want to buy some of those wipes, thank you, thank you for all you've done to help.

Katie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for everything to progress fast and smooth, get Jerry to VMC soon....closer to getting home.
SFerry

Anonymous said...

Please tell Jerry there are a lot of people cheering for him to recover more everyday.

God Bless you Katie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,

You sure have a strong will and many friends who admire your strength and faith.

We continue to pray and hope the plans for SCVM come together quickly.

Trish is a living doll!!!!

Give Jerry xoxoxo from me.
Much Love,
Gretch