Monday, January 17, 2011

Quick Update

I think we may be getting closer to addressing the nausea issue for Jerry. Although we've not discovered the root cause we have found a medication combo that eliminates about 85% of the nausea. Jerry feels better physically which improves his mood and outlook on life greatly. I hope this remedy holds up, Jerry builds a tolerance to medications very quickly within 2 to 4 weeks. For now the pain, nausea and emotions are all being managed successfully.

Jerry begins classes at Cabrillo college in about 3 weeks, I think he's excited yet very nervous at the same time.  Originally Jerry was going to sign up for a history class to learn how to be a student as a quadriplegic, the biggest concern being how to manage homework. Jerry decided that one class was not enough he really wanted to take calculus as well and so signed up for the class.  Now Jerry is becoming increasingly more nervous about being able to handle 2 classes and is wavering on whether or not to drop calc.  I reassured Jer that there is plenty of time to drop a class and he should at least give it a shot. He could attend 2 or 3 classes and then determine whether or not he can handle it, so for now that is the plan. Since I am driving him to school and don't have time to come home, I've decided to take some classes as well. As a new student I got to register for classes last and thus all the classes I wanted to take were full, so I will be taking a golf class this semester.  I'm excited and hope to improve my golf game immensely.

In my last post I mentioned Dennis being in a band and encouraged all locals to join us at the next gig. I just wanted to let everyone know that Dennis dropped out of the band.  Maybe he will pick it back up at a later date but right now it's a little too complicated.  I assume the scheduled shows have been canceled, unless they were able to pick a drummer.

I still have lots of t-shirts, if you were planning on purchasing I encourage you not to wait we are limited on sizes.

Much love,

Katie

7 comments:

Trish said...

Hey Macs,

Here's praying the combo of drugs for nausea et al holds for longer than 3 weeks! And, good advice about the classes - regardless of his situation, going and checking them out has always been my support to Mary and Chris and therefore to him. I'm stoked he's trying it. You can even check on line to see when the drop date, without penalty, is and go from there.

Just got back from taking Mary up to Chico. Spent a few days there and the weather couldn't have been better -a lot like here. Now it's back to the grindstone. At least the weather is gorgeous for a few more days...

For now, my prayer is this, Gracious Lord, you continue to work and weave goodnesses into our lives. We continue our prayer of recovery for Jerry. Sometimes our patience is at a minimum and our fears get in the way. Lord, Dennis told Katie, two years ago, 'fear is not from God' Help us remain steadfast in his words to her and trust your plan for us. Thank you Father for the blessings that continue to grace our lives - for Jerry, stretching his wheels to attend class - be with him as he heads to school. Thank you for your love and most of all for the friendships that be bring strength and support to the Macs. Amen

Love you lots,

Trish

grandma said...

Sounds like good things are coming to Jerry. So glad the nausea is getting better. I'm also very proud of you Jerry. I thing going back to school will be a good thing.

Love everyone

Grandma

Uncle Neil said...

I'm glad you are all staying so busy getting ahead!
Dennis playing in a band as he is available, Katie working out on the golf course, ..and Jerry tackling History and Calculus!!
Be sure you speak early with the student resources people at Cabrillo College, ..at Cabrillo, Jerry will NOT be the only wheelchair riding student, ..and those students, and the school staff, know well how to make Jerry's work as smooth as possible.
Jerry's job will be to learn the history the teacher will present, and that calculus, ..the teachers will have many ways available to check, and test, Jerry's understanding. Jerry is only required to give them the answers to their questions in the best way he can.
If he learns the material, he will pass, ..once he works out with student services and the teachers the most agreeable method of demonstarating his academic progresses.
As for you, Katie, ..I hear golf is tougher than calculus!
I don't think anybody has ever thrown their calculator into a water trap!!
Best wishes to ALL of you! ..you are doing great things!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jer,
Long time no post for me, but have been thinking of you always.
I'd be nervous too about going back to school but I think I might just ease in like mom and take a cooking course or something fun like Tiger Woods.

Sorry I missed Dennis' gigs but hope you will be able to make Gabe's band debut at the Brookdale on Saturday the 12th at 7pm. He would love to see you and Luke will be coming home to rock.

Praying always for HIS miracle.
Love,
Gretchen

Trish said...

Hey Guys!

How're the classes going? I hear tell that Cabrillo is the place to be, locally, for school. So many people and so few spaces you're lucky you got your classes.

I'm ready for Spring and less rain - how 'bout you? Just last weekend we got over 7 inches inabout 30 hours. Felt the sun on my face today for about 15 minutes and it was glorious!

Here's to a good test score, not too much homework and lots of stimulation! been thinking of you everyday!

Love to you all,

Trish

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry,

I have been following your recovery for some time. I just want to stop by and tell you that I have been praying for you. I wish you a progressive recovery. Keep fighting. Dont give up!

Sam

asa said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?
sbo

sbobet