Saturday, November 6, 2010

Getting Stronger

The FES bike has been very beneficial for Jerry but like most kids his age he'd rather be doing something else besides working out.  I can't blame him for that matter, heck I feel guilty, he works out more than I do and I have no excuse.  I'm so proud of Jerry and how hard he works. The video below is Jerry doing the FES arm cycle, just ignore the stack of pillows on the unmade bed ;-), I guess I should have cleaned his room a bit before shooting a video.


Jerry's arms continue to get stronger, his left arm has been more dominant in the past however the right arm is starting to catch up. A few nights ago Jerry wanted a candy bar, I'm on a diet and that's a little torturous to have a candy bar in my hand and not take a bite. I decided if Jerry wanted the candy bar he was going to have to feed it to himself, I was halfway messing with him I would have fed it to him if he could not. I put the candy  bar between his fingers and  much to my surprise he managed to lift it and take a bite.  I was so excited I made him wait to eat the rest while I grabbed the camera.  As you can see by the expression on his face in the video below he hates it when I take pictures and video especially when eating.  I know he hates it now but it's important to capture these milestones so when he looks back he can see how far he has come.  This was way to huge not to share with you all.  



With the discovery that Jerry could feed himself the candy bar the thought came to me that maybe it's time to get adaptive utensils and begin to try feeding himself his meals.  I purchased the utensils online and I gotta say once again I'm appalled at how the handicapped are taken advantage of, it's sickening. 1 plate, 1 fork, 1 spoon and 1 cup, plastic, nothing that special, $70. Unbelievable!



The plate has rubber tabs on the bottom so it won't slide, it also has a rim all around it so the food cannot be scooped off the edge. The fork or spoon can be strapped to the hand and is bendable to angle it the way Jerry needs it.  You never stop to think how many muscles are used for the simple task of feeding yourself.  Jerry has one muscle working for him, the bicep, he can bend at the elbow to lift his forearm but cannot lift the arm from the elbow to the shoulder.   Jerry doesn't have any wrist or hand control or wrist rotation.  Feeding himself may still be to early and be more of a frustration then he can handle right now but he'll never know until he tries.

God bless,

Katie

12 comments:

Aunt Teresa said...

Wow the power of chocolate! hahaha good job Jerry! I like seeing your progress. Katie thanks for sharing it with us. Amazing how the right arm is catching up, I guess everything in it's own time. Hope to see you around the Holidays.

Love
Aunt Teresa

jessrun said...

AWESOME!!! Check out www.diningwithdignity.com awesome adaptive utensils. I am trying to slowly get away from mine. I should have told you long ago. You will all love them.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jerry! Chocolate has always motivated me too... HA! It's so great to see your progress... this is fantastic. Keep up the good work! Sharon

Anonymous said...

i am so proud of you Jerry!!! way to go... now just dont foreget to also eat plenty of vegetables, i know if they tasted like a candy bar it would be much more fun, but the vitamins, enzymes, and nutriton will help you continue to heal :)

Grandma said...

Jerry, I am so excited to see how far you have come. Very encouraging.

Love you all
Grandma

Trish said...

Right on Jerry! Mary knew candy was a good motivator-glad it's worked for you, too! Hahaha!

But seriously, these videos are really cool! Thanks Katie for sharing the milestones and I'm stoked to see you, Jerry, going for it.

Mentos Mary may be in town this weekend - ultimate tournament - actually the men's team will be staying with us - the women didn't get a bid for the UCSC tourney. Then she'll be back on the 19th for a week. Chris is staying south with my sister and'll be back up in December.

Love and prayers to ya!

Trish

robin said...

How exciting to see Jerry getting stronger and stronger!! You go Jerry! And yes, I'd work hard for chocolate too.

robin

Katie Mac said...

Thanks everyone for continued prayer and good wishes. Thanks Jess for the link to adaptive utensils I'll check it out. :-)

Anonymous said...

Jerry,

You continue to amaze and inspire me! I am always checking the blog for new updates and find your strength and determination very admirable.

Keep those chocolate bars coming, mom!

- an older than you SLVHS graduate :)

Anonymous said...

Jerry - I don't think I have seen anything more beautiful than you lifting that candy bar to your mouth. You made it look effortless. Such a handsome young man you are!! God Bless You!!
You are always in my prayers.
Katie- still waiting to hear fromm my sister in law about Rambus.
How about an ebay store for Jerry? I ebay alot and just received something with note that said thank you for help with our son's medical expenses for his brain tumor...got me to thinking....anyway...you have stuff to sell on ebay?, I'll do it for you.....I deal in clothes, but can photo anything and put it on there for sale...just a thought.
Let me know, I am very happy to help.
Sharon Ferry

Aunt Stephanie said...

Its been awhile since I've looked at the blog. It's great to see Jerry back to normal with his exercising and feeding himself is Awesome. I didn't comment about the T-shirts so would like to let you know now that I would buy probably four and don't care about the color. I'd probably buy
a large and three mediums.

Jody McRoberts said...

Greetings!! I pray that you are having a blessed day.

I found out about your family through Allie P. I have been following her progress and praying for her. And I found out about Allie through Connor Williamson, for whom I am also praying.

I am a runner, and I've decided that running for myself is not enough. So, I dedicate my races to others now. The last few races I've done, I've "tattooed" Connor and Allie's names on my forearms. When the race gets tough, they help me to keep going. I have a 5K race on Saturday here in Morgan Hill, and I'm going to add Jerry's name, too. From the picture on the blog, it looks like he's a runner. My prayer is to someday run a 5K with all of these young people I'm praying for. With God, all things are possible.

If you would like to see some pictures from my last race, you can go to http://tinyurl.com/24l2m37. If you would like to contact me personally, you can do so at jody@mcrhome.com

Be BLESSED!!

Jody McRoberts :>}