Wednesday, April 7, 2010

April 7

I hope everyone had a great Easter, with the exception of rain ours was wonderful. We ventured to Richmond to my aunt Steph's house with the family. It was great to see everyone (we missed you Mom, Dad, Mark, Brenda, Brandon, Nick and fam, Phil, Vinny and Rena). Jerry spent over 11 hours in his wheelchair on Easter so needless to say he was in a great deal of pain by the time we got home. It's hard on him to be in his chair for so long but it's good for him, he should spend at least four to five hours in his chair everyday however he refuses to sit in the chair when he's at home. I keep thinking that when the nausea goes away he'd be more willing, unfortunately the nausea persists.

Thanks Trish, Gretch, Zack, Mom, Steph, Wendy, Sharon and all that continue to to follow Jerry's progress through the blog. I appreciate your comments letting us know that we are not alone, kind words and prayers.

My cousin Erin came for a visit for a few days we enjoyed having her. Jessica's on spring break and enjoying the time off. The kids have gone on a hike spent time at the Board Walk and taken Jerry to the movie to see Clash of the Titans. It's been kinda chill around here.

Not much has changed since my last post but I do have good news regarding Jerry's mattress. It's hard to believe that Jerry's been home almost 14 months and still does not have the alternating pressure mattress however we are so close now. The mattress has been ordered and should ship within the next couple of days. The alternating air pressure /low air loss mattress will help prevent Jerry from getting a pressure sore. The mattress has air bladders within that increase and decrease with air pressure on a cycle, this will help prevent any part of Jerry's body, particularly bony parts from experiencing pressure for a prolonged period of time.

It looks like we also have a good chance of getting the portable lift authorized so we can get Jerry in and out of the tub. I'm excited to get the lift, it'll be so much easier to do tub transfers and I know Jerry will enjoy bathing more often. It's amazing that we never stop to think about how life is different for the handicap until we are faced with it in our own family. Things like taking a five minute shower for you or I takes an hour for Jerry. We take so much for granted and have no idea how blessed we are.

Enjoy the sun!

Katie

12 comments:

Trish said...

Fourteen months and they're just getting around to getting you the pressure mattress. Who decides these things anyway? UGGG!
The return of the nice weather certainly is inspiring. And I'm awfully happy to here your Easter Sunday with family was as nice as it was. It was good to have the kids home for the weekend, too.
We're here for the long haul with you.

Love you lots, Macs.
Trish

grandma said...

I'm glad you had a good time with the family. I wish we could have been there. I'm also glad the pressure mattress has finally been authorized. Love you guys.

love Grandma

Anonymous said...

Hi Jer,
I'm so happy to hear that you got out and about during Spring Break. I even heard that the movie was pretty good too.
I'm excited to hear that you will have more relief once that mattress arrives. Whatever you do, don't let your brother and sisters start jumping on your new bed.
Katie,
Those of us who continue to write truely love and care for you and your family. We always want you to know that we are here for you. The times we all spent together before and after Jerry's accident gave us a bond that can't be broken. All our children are connected and that will never end.
Keep up your spirits as God will continue to work his miracles, however long it takes.
Lots of Love,
Luboffs one and all

Aunt Teresa said...

It was good to see all of you Easter. Sorry to here Jerry had a lot pain."I hate that!" Good that your getting the mattress after 14 months wow we would'nt want them to rush enything, to bad things take so long. Jerry it was so good to see your progress keep it up.
Love you all very much.
Aunt Teresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerry and family,

I've been following your story since the beginning of this blog. I've prayed for your full recovery and I am sure God will present you with amazing things in the near future. Keep up the progress and don't ever give up. Keep a positive attitude because a happy heart leads to a happy life. I will continue to have you in my prayers.

Gabi said...

It is hard to believe it has been 14 month,but probably not for you all.I am glad to hear that the matresse is finally getting to be reality....It was great to see you and Dennis at the prom photo shot.
Much love to you all,Gabi

Trish said...

Hi guys!

Just got back from seeing Chris in an Olympic Distance triathlon. He stayed the night with Torie, on Friday, saw Luke, too. I met up with Chris in Paso Robles and we headed into Lake San Antonio together. Talk about a mass of humanity - it was great. Saw folks from SC and Irvine there, the weather was perfect - a bit windy for the swim, but generally lovely. I got sun burned, bummer. Covered my face but forgot the arms and shoulders. Chris did well. Finished 46th of 287. He said it was harder than the last one he did. The run killed him - a lot of uphill. (killed me too when I walked up it to get to the camping area.)

Mary finishes her freshman year in three weeks. She'll be back for about four days and then heads back up to Chico for a 10 day Wilderness First Responder course. She's stoked with that. She's really going to miss her buds Derek and Russell - they all play ultimate together as well as meet for meals everyday. She hasn't heard from the numerous businesses she applied to for summer work, but that will come.

Hope all is uneventful for you. Jer, hope the nausea is lessening and that sci-fit is going well. You are among the kids' friends who are in the forefront of my thoughts and payers. Hope you're feeling them.

Love ya lots,

Trish

Anonymous said...

Hey Jerry,
How are you guys doing these sunny days? I hope Jer that you are able to see some of Jessie's last few high school games. Go Cougars!
I wanted to remind you not to forget Mother's Day this Sunday, because you have one of the most awesomest Moms in the world.
It will be my first Mother's Day without Luke or Gabe, but that's OK, Ed said I can treat him like a baby. (wink, wink, nod, nod)
Anyway, just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of each of you and wishing you a wonderful weekend! Especially Katie!
Love,
Gretch

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Katie MacCallister!
Jerry, hope your nausea has finally gone away. Bet you are looking forward to your friends coming home for summer break!
Always in my prayers.
Sharon

Uncle Neil said...

Yes! ..like Sharon just said, Happy Mothers Day (and ALL days) to all the hard working people praying for each other and all the challenges we all are presented each day, each year, and each life.

I heard a nice definition of "spirituality" this Sunday, ..it was said to be "a valued habit of looking out at all the other people placed here with us, and being actively aware of them, and their lives, and their spirits".

That seems to be something I can understand, and even try for!

Reading these words of Dennis and Katie just lets me know how much "experience of others" I have out there for me to consider.

I do consider it, and I have great respect for every member of your family, ..and for all the other people around you as well!

I have especial respect for Jerry, ..he has been given one of the most demanding roles of any of us in this life.

But it is very true, Jerry, ..you are one of the smartest of any of us here, and I know God will deliver you some great suggestions on how you may continue down the path of life in your own way.

Yes, God gave you a voice, ..God gave ALL of us a voice, ..and you have a powerful story to tell.

As you continue forward, with your good looks, your grinning smiles, and your intelligent solutions, ..you help us all to be more aware of what it means to find the strength and truth of "spirituality".

God gave you the voice, ..and is proud of you as you struggle to develop it, train it, tune it, and make it yours.

Keep up the practice, Jerry, ..God will always be there with a perfectly-timed inspiration, ..and I believe God will be standing right next to you, with beams of smiles and thunderous applause, as you bring yourself to the point where you just have to sing out like Sinatra, .."I Did It My Way"!

Here's good wishes to you and your family, ..and even greater prayers!

God Bless!

Grandma said...

Amen, Uncle Neil there is alot of truth and wisdom in what you said and was very comforting to me.

I love you Katie, Dennis, Josh, Janea, Jerry and Jessica

Love Grandma

Anonymous said...

I have received your letter in the mail. My own family has had a similar tragedy this year, with my own nephew Ethan, who lives in Nebraska. My thoughts are with you as life calls on everything you can give and more.

Kind Regards,
Debra L Bunger, MD