Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Feb 23, 2010

I thought this journey would get easier as time went on, as the tasks became more routine and the home modifications were complete, however it doesn't seem to be playing out that way. The more time that passes the more sad I become, this cannot be permanent it just CAN'T. Jerry has up days and down days and days when he wants to give up. It's not easy staying strong for him when sometimes I barely have the strength to get through the day.

Jerry is still having nausea daily, it's hard to fathom that he has had nausea almost every day going on fourteen months now and nobody can figure out why. Jerry had an MRI of his neck about a month ago. When the spinal cord has been traumatized it can develop sacks of fluid over time during the healing process which can cause all sorts of problems. The doctor did a C-Spine MRI to rule that occurrence out, thankfully the results came back normal. Jerry now has an MRI scheduled for next week to look at the brain. The doctor wants to check if there is something going on in the nausea center of the brain.

We've taken the month off from SCI-FIT, Jerry and I are getting burnt out on the drive and just needed a break. It's nice to have Wednesdays and Fridays free, not rushing and stressing to get to Pleasanton. We continue to go to PT and OT in Santa Cruz on Tuesdays and Thursdays and usually have some other doctor or dentist appointment on Mondays.

Dennis gave me time off for my birthday, a friend of mine had to go to Las Vegas for her daughters volleyball tournament. Dennis encouraged me to go along and assured me he could hold down the fort until I get back. I was reluctant however he pushed a little which made it easier for me to go. I had a great time but came home more exhausted than I was before I left. I saw the Phantom of the Opera which was spectacular but I gotta say I was so happy to get home. Unfortunately I caught a bug and have been pretty sick for a week, yesterday was my first day back to the land of the living.

Jerry has decided to learn how to be a student in his current condition so he will be taking a class at the community college in the fall. Most likely it will be an easy class just to basically learn how he will get in and out doors, how will he manage notes and home work, what kind of adaptive equipment might be available to him etc. I think it will be good for him to get back to school.

Dennis finished the bathroom it looks so beautiful. Jerry now has the option of taking a shower or a bath. The roll in shower is so convenient however Jerry loves the bath and opts for that most often. We still have not got the bath routine perfected it's difficult keeping him from floating. Here are some pictures of the bathroom:






SCI-FIT made a video of some of the things they do with Jerry, you can watch the video by clicking the play button below.

Thank you to all those who continue to pray for Jerry's recovery, we need to keep hope alive now more then ever.

Much love,
Katie

12 comments:

Thoughtspooling said...

I grew up with a disabled siblings. I've gone through a lot of stages of acceptance. Acceptance of now does not mean loss of hope for change. God has never wasted my pain, even when it was loss or despair. Accept you now, accept Jerry now. Rest and trust God to change your hopes, or Jerry's health. So glad you are keeping up this site so we can check in.
I trust God with you, with Jerry, with me, with my helpless sisters.
-Jennifer

Grandma said...

Dennis you did a great job on the bathroom. It looks beautiful. I'm sure Jerry appreciates all your hard work.

Katie I'm glad you had a good birthday in Vegas. Just hang in there. There is so many people who love your family and are praying for Jerry's recovery.

Jerry I'm glad your going back to school, its a great idea, and I know you will do well.

Love to all of my family.

Love Grandma

robin said...

I'm so glad to hear from you. It reminds me to pray and helps me know what to ask for. I'm not in your shoes so I can only imagine what day to day life is like. I have read articles on the life of caregivers and it has got to be one of the toughest jobs out there.
Is there anything the rest of us can do to help? Maybe you do have to do it all but if there is anything at all you can delegate, please speak up. So many of us would love to help.
I'll pray for endurance, encouragement and refreshment for all of you!
And the bathroom is gorgeous!!

Trish said...

How wise Jennifer is to say that acceptance of now does not mean loss of hope for change.

Katie, glad you got away for a jaunt, sorry you got so sick, can appreciate the break from Pleasanton, stoked with Jerry's plan to head back to school and so very impressed with Dennis' hard work. The bathroom is exquisite:looks like a resort bathroom.

Thanks for the update. On our way back from San Diego, after watching Chris in his first triathlon, the man in the seat next to me had just come from a week at Project Walk. His nephew was in a car accident 20 months ago and was able to spend two weeks there (from Hawaii)two weeks after his accident his younger sister suffered a traumatic brain injury and is paralyzed on the right side of her body. Both around Jerry's age. The uncle has seen great strides in his nephews recovery. It will happen!

Love to you all. Softball season is coming up - I can tell because it's been raining so much. Blessing to you all and know you are kept in our daily prayers.

Much love,
Trish

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie,
Happy belated birthday girlfriend!

Thank you for posting. I don't seem to have enough time in the day to call as often as I would like to, so reading about your family's current days are a blessing.

I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well and I know that getting away doesn't always seem to be the answer. I just got back from meeting my new granddaughter and came back with some kind of bug. YUK! When I feel stressed or depressed (I think they are one in the same sometimes)my immune system seems to tell me it's shutting down for awhile. Why it has to be a bug instead of a bundle of energy God only knows.
Just know that you are not alone and we love you.

Jerry, I think of you daily and the strength it takes to keep the faith, to keep that beautiful smile of yours on. I am really excited that you will be attending school. What a giant step. I know you will meet many old and new friends there.

The pictures of your new bathroom are fabulous. I would opt for the bathtub over the shower any day too. Your Dad did an awesome job on the bathroom and your room too! Good job Den!

Praying the rest of the clan stays well and that God lifts your hearts and minds up as he keeps your bodies strong and continues to remind you that "miracles are happening everywhere." Amen.

Lots of love still coming your way,
Gretchen

Spring Break is coming up and I think Luke will be here in a few weeks. Hoping you two can share some Civilization time.

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie, Dennis, Jerry and all of your loving family,

I think of you often and I continue to pray for jerry's recovery. I am going through my own thing now but it pales in comparison with the challenge God has allowed you to go through. Don't ever give up (I know you won't) because God has a plan for Jerry's life and he knows that Jerry has the strength of character to discover it and run with it. I admire you Katie and Dennis so much for all you do and for the mountains of love you feel for your son and what you do to lift him up. You are not only making Jerry feel loved and hopeful,but God is beaming with love for you for what you do. My love, prayers and hope are alway with you.Thank you for keeping us posted so that we can follow your family's recovery and remember to keep you in our prayers.
all my love,
Jackie Fedak

尾牙大餐 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rebecca cook said...

that is just amazingly inspiring, thank you for sharing. keep up the HARD work!

Anonymous said...

Go SLV Cougars and especially a big congratulations to Jessica. Not bad getting a little publicity in the Seninel for the Softball Tourney.

Hey Jer,
Did you see that the "little boys" took 5 out of 6 events at Aptos over the weekend? I heard the boys are going to New York for an indoor race. (Rob always promised you and Luke would get to go...rats!) But let's wish them luck and hope they make us proud.

Hoping that the sunshine and the beginning of Spring make you want to get out of the house and catch some rays.

Lot's of Love,
Gretch

Anonymous said...

The new bathroom looks fabulous! How exciting to have it all finished finally :)

Anonymous said...

Stay strong...
I love to see your van around town b/c it means you all had it in you to get out of the house!
We still think about you and pray for you all... be well.

Trish said...

It sure was good to see you all the other night! Love your hair, Dennis! We're still talking about all that old paper work you found downstairs - especially the picture of the the old couple with the horse and buggy. That's some amazing literature you have.

Jer, it was good to see you - sorry you weren't feeling up to snuff. Hoping the intensity of the nausea was only a day's worth and not continuing. The kids enjoyed visiting, too. They're back and immersed in the last few weeks of school. Mary has a few more tournaments - hopefully one at UCSC. Chris has longer at school that Mary - she's out around May 21st but Chris'll have another good three weeks.

Anyway, it was so good to see all of you. Know we continue to hold you up in our thoughts and prayers.
Love you all, lots!

Trish