Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Monday - Nov 30

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! This year Thanksgiving was different for us in more ways than one. Most holidays we drive three hours to Sacramento to my moms house, along with my brother and his family, nieces and nephews, great grand parents etc, that tradition has changed. All of my family jumped the sinking ship (Calif) and moved to Washington. I missed the family and the tradition but I gotta say I didn't miss the drive. We had many invites however we opted to stay home this year. I spent Wednesday evening cooking after getting home from Pleasanton. It was nice to have most everything done by Thursday so we could just enjoy the day. Dennis' brother and nephew were going to come for the day however unforeseen circumstances prevented it. We had some friends over, it was a very nice day, watching football and visiting.

Jerry has been passionate about football this year primarily because he, Dennis and I are in a fantasy football league. Jerry looks forward to watching football on Sundays and spends time planning his team players and studying information to enable him to make the best decisions regarding his team. Jerry was in fourth place in league however he was so stoked to beat Rob who is in first place, sorry Rob. It's wonderful to see him get excited about something, who would have thought that football would be the thing to offer him an escape from his reality, even if it's only for a few hours. Go Niners!

There is so much that I'm thankful for, first and foremost my son's life. Even though Jerry's body is different his mind is the same. I'm thankful that Jerry didn't suffer brain damage, I'm thankful that his level of injury was not higher then C4. I'm thankful for the health and well being of my family. I'm thankful that God gives us strength to endure.

I'm excited to share with you that Jerry's arms are getting stronger. Two weeks ago Jerry was finally able to drive his wheelchair with the (hand) joystick, Jerry has not used the chin drive since. It is far more difficult for him to use the joystick and takes a great amount of effort, he does get fatigued if he has far to go but for the most part he can handle the chair with great precision. I believe the FES hand cycle has been pivotal in Jerry regaining strength in his arms. Unfortunately our time to use the FES hand bike may be drawing to an end along with Jerry's PT and OT sessions at Dominican Rehab. Jerry's therapist is preparing the request for the next 90 day session and believes it will likely be the last that will get authorized.

Dennis has finally started tiling the new bathroom, it was an overwhelming job picking out tile and planning the pattern, I'm so glad to have that part done. We are so close now to getting the bathroom done so Jerry can take a real shower or bath. Eleven months of sponge baths has gotten very old it's just not the same as a real shower or bath.

Thank you for the support, please continue to pray for the restoration of Jerry's spinal cord and for guidance with going to China for stem cell surgery.

Much love,
Katie

13 comments:

Grandma said...

Hi Katie

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. We also had a nice Thanksgiving but missed all of you terribly.

I'm also greatful that we still have our Jerry, God has blessed us. I love you all so much.

We will be seeing you soon.

Love

Grandma

Trish said...

Hi Macs,
The kids sure had a good time seeing you over the holiday. Sounds like the movie over the hill was a good one and having all the guys together was, as it has always been, a great time. I'm thankful for the friendships these guys have maintained and continue to foster. Life without friends isn't nearly as much fun as life with them.

I'm also thankful for the therapists and doctors who advocate for you. It is obvious that without the therapies Jerry wouldn't be where he is. We will continue to lift you in our prayers as you navigate the decisions to go to China.

Lots of love,

Trish

Anonymous said...

Hello Dennis, Katie, Josh, Jenae, Jerry and Jess,
Glad you had a quiet and restful Thanksgiving. I'm also glad that the boys were back in town to hang with Jerry and also help celebrate Josh's birthday.
The Holidays are upon us once again and as we get closer to January 2nd, I thank God that Jerry is here, with us, to celebrate. It also makes us
ponder on how blessed we are to live in a world where miracle break throughs in stem cell research continue to renew hope that Jerry will one day walk, run and fly again.
Stay strong MacCallisters. I believe that "miracles are waiting everwhere".
Lot's of Love,
The Luboff's one and all

Eric said...

It was good to see you over the break

Aunt Stephanie said...

Oh Man!! Next year you will have to come over for Thanksgiving. I should have asked you earlier. It sounds relaxing though.

The football thing you guys do sounds like alot of fun. It's good to see and hear about Jerry smiling.

Love You,
Aunt Stephanie

Anonymous said...

ugg boots
Classic Ugg Boots
Cheap Ugg Boots
Women Ugg Boots
Newest Ugg
Outlet UGG Boots
Ugg Boots on sale
Ugg Boots for sale
Australia Ugg
Wholesale Ugg boots

Bailey Button
Childrens Ugg Boots
Fluff Flip Flop Uggs
Sundance II Uggs
UGG Classic
Classic High Ugg Boots
High Metallic Ugg Boots
Mini Ugg Boots
Short Metallic Uggs
UGG Cardy Boots
Ugg Classic Short
UGG Classic Argyle Knit
UGG Classic Crochet Boots
Ugg Nightfall
UGG Sandals
Amelie Suede Sandals Ugg Boots
Tasmina Braid Sandals Uggs
Tasmina Sandals Uggs
UGG Coquette Sandals
Ugg Dakota sandals
UGG Gypsy sandals
UGG Halendi sandals
UGG Morocco sandals
Ugg Stripe Cable Knit
UGG Sundance Grab bags
UGG Ultra boots
Ultra High Ugg Boots
Ultra Short Uggs

Anonymous said...

Jerry, maybe it's time to begin planning a class from Cabrillo, to start again on that college degree. You're a bright guy, and you're whole life is ahead of you. I know you can do it!

The Proffitts said...

Mornin'Macs! Stormin' mornin' actually. I'm glad it's finally raining instead of gray spritzing it's been doing. Buel and I went out in it yesterday to get our tree. The kids'll be home this time next weekend. Yippeee!

You remain close to our hearts and in our prayers, daily. Our prayers include gratitude for Jerry's progress, gratitude for your dedication and ability to care for Jerry, Josh, Jess and Jenea and each other, and especially for our Father to guide and give you what is necessary to continue Jerry's recovery. HE is good and faithful and allows for miracles!

Blessings this Christmas Season!
Much love,

The Proffitts

Anonymous said...

Jerry,
Who is the DD tonight? You guys have a safe and sane RCP Christmas Party but most of all have fun!
Love,
Santa
I'd lend you my sleigh and the reindeer but I'll need them fresh for Christmas Eve.

Uncle Neil said...

Jerry, Dennis, Katie and all! ..God Bless your days, and Merry Christmas! My kids and I wish you the best, and we are with you in our thoughts even though we are many miles away.
We are very glad to hear of the progress both with your arm, Jerry, ..and with that tiled-shower bathroom! Dennis, I am sure you will turn out another excellent piece of work.
Look, I know it is cold outside right now, ..but you guys are great at keeping your spirits up, ..so keep doing that!
We'll look forward to talking to you soon! ..hopefully even in person someday!!
Stay strong,
Neil, Patrick, and Emma

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
I just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and may the New Year offer new hope and more progress.
Love in Christ,
The Allreds

Frank MacCallister Jr. said...

Merry Christmas to you all.

The love and strength in your family is inspiring. I pray that it continues to grow stronger with each passing day.

My wish for you this year is that Jerry continues to improve and the NFL expands to a 36 week schedule!

Love and hugs to you all,

Frankie Mac Jr.

The Proffitts said...

Thinking of you, especially, these last couple of days and will continue to over the next few.

The Proffitts